[SOLVED] HDD not recognized neither in windows or bios ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2022
Hello,

Long story short, I ran out of storage in my pc (running with 2 pcie's 1tb) and needed additional storage, so tried swap 1TB HDD from my old laptop, but my PC doesn't recognize it, nether in windows (10) or BIOS.
Tried to format it and change partitions lettering, turned on every SATA port on my motherboard, but still nothing, on my old laptop it works fine, but on PC it is not even recognized, maybe someone encounter similar problem and can help me out :)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to pass on the specs to your desktop, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
As for your motherboard, mention the BIOS version as well. Have you tried working with another set of SATA power and data cables?

Make and model of your laptop?

Hello,

Long story short, I ran out of storage in my pc (running with 2 pcie's 1tb) and needed additional storage, so tried swap 1TB HDD from my old laptop, but my PC doesn't recognize it, nether in windows (10) or BIOS.
Tried to format it and change partitions lettering, turned on every SATA port on my motherboard, but still nothing, on my old laptop it works fine, but on PC it is not even recognized, maybe someone encounter similar problem and can help me out :)
Perhaps you could try checking the drive with a non-windows based disk utility. You could try booting from a usb containing either a utility like Gparted or a linux live distro which includes Gparted. You would want to make sure the drive has a GPT partition identifier (just in case it has MBR) and is in NTFS format.

Oct 7, 2022
Perhaps you could try checking the drive with a non-windows based disk utility. You could try booting from a usb containing either a utility like Gparted or a linux live distro which includes Gparted. You would want to make sure the drive has a GPT partition identifier (just in case it has MBR) and is in NTFS format.
This made no sense, like at all :D

Oct 6, 2022
Hey. This sounds a little similar to my weird issue. Unfortunately, I don't have any good answers at the moment since I have to unplug and then plug in the power cable for my affected SSD that I've been having problems with.

Edit: Just to be certain, it is recieving power, right?

Oct 7, 2022
So got HDD working. Problem was that I tried first 5th and 6th SATA ports (because it is easy to reach) and finally left it on 2nd port. I realized that M2 disables 5th and 6th ports, but never thought that it could disable 2nd port :D plugged in 1st port and got HDD working :)
So thank all of you guys for your replays and help, I really appreciate it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.