Question HDD not showing anywhere

Nov 7, 2022
Hello, I’ve been having an issue with my hard drive not showing up in my in my files explorer, disk manager, and even the bios. It started since I made some changes, but it was running perfectly fine for a year.

Here’s what has changed:
I got a new graphics card, 6700xt and was trying to enable rebar, but my bios was from 2020 so I couldn’t see any option for it.

I decided to try and update my bios to the newest one, but first tried several things:

I wanted to back up my files to another drive so I tried to copy everything to another drive (awful decision). I tried to copy my entire M.2 with my OS on it.

That didn’t work, and created some files I couldn’t delete on the other drive. I tried to delete them, and eventually succeeded in force deleting them via commands.

That’s basically where I started having this problem. It was maybe 3 days ago. My drive started having problems after deleting those files, so I turned off the drive via disk manager or something and then it just straight up disappeared. I couldn’t find it after that.

To fix that, I tried replugging my hard drive and it actually showed up again, but as of today I can’t find it at all anymore.

Now I’ve:
Set my bios to default settings
Did a full windows reset/reinstall
Changed and checked my SATA cable (the drive is getting power, it buzzes when I turn on my PC and is warm)

I should lastly also mention that I took out my CPU to reapply thermal paste as my thermals were getting too high to where my PC would crash on high loads.

If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it. My computer runs fine as of now, but the drive is really a problem.

Nov 7, 2022
Hello, I’ve been having an issue with my hard drive not showing up in my in my files explorer, disk manager, and even the bios. It started since I made some changes, but it was running perfectly fine for a year.

Here’s what has changed:
I got a new graphics card, 6700xt and was trying to enable rebar, but my bios was from 2020 so I couldn’t see any option for it.

I decided to try and update my bios to the newest one, but first tried several things:

I wanted to back up my files to another drive so I tried to copy everything to another drive (awful decision). I tried to copy my entire M.2 with my OS on it.

That didn’t work, and created some files I couldn’t delete on the other drive. I tried to delete them, and eventually succeeded in force deleting them via commands.

That’s basically where I started having this problem. It was maybe 3 days ago. My drive started having problems after deleting those files, so I turned off the drive via disk manager or something and then it just straight up disappeared. I couldn’t find it after that.

To fix that, I tried replugging my hard drive and it actually showed up again, but as of today I can’t find it at all anymore.

Now I’ve:
Set my bios to default settings
Did a full windows reset/reinstall
Changed and checked my SATA cable (the drive is getting power, it buzzes when I turn on my PC and is warm)

I should lastly also mention that I took out my CPU to reapply thermal paste as my thermals were getting too high to where my PC would crash on high loads.

If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it. My computer runs fine as of now, but the drive is really a problem.
I should also mention that I’ve tried to downgrade my bios but it keeps telling me something about bitlocker recovery key but I don’t even have it enabled, and saying it’s the wrong bios when I know for a fact it’s the right motherboard bios. Also I have my M.2 that is still working just fine.

I should also mention that I’ve tried to downgrade my bios but it keeps telling me something about bitlocker recovery key but I don’t even have it enabled, and saying it’s the wrong bios when I know for a fact it’s the right motherboard bios. Also I have my M.2 that is still working just fine.
Probably dead drive, can't you try it somewhere else or with USB to SATA adapter ?

Tom cruise432

BANNED
Sep 13, 2022
Disk Manager may not recognize your new hard drive if there is a problem with the driver, with the connection, or with the BIOS settings. These are repairable. A damaged cable or a defective USB port can also cause connection problems. The new hard disc could become deactivated due to incorrect BIOS settings.