Question HDD not showing up.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I was recently given an older HP pavilion desktop and was told by the previous owner that they could not get it to work, but we're vague as to exact issue(s)/error(s). I figured I would just I use it for parts anyway so did not puruse what was wrong.

I decided that I would at least fire it up to see what would happen. At first it seemed normal... No OS found and so on. I figured they had wiped clean so okay I'll just install an OS. I tried installing my Windows 10 and when choosing custom install it gets to the part where you have to choose a partition. Oddly enough it shows just one unallocated area, and it has 0 MB available. I cannot do anything with it.

Tried it in another PC and PC went right to scanning HDD for errors. It scanned my working HDD and in a short time said repaired successfully, (did not know there was an issue), and then started working on the suspect HDD. It took at least 6+ hours, and when I woke up PC had apparently finished successfully and shut down. The repair situation has not occurred again, but......

Now the suspect HDD is not recognized at all. In fact on boot up I get a message stating error auto sensing secondary master hard disk drive. Even when I run a diagnostic test the test for the HDD just shows something like HDD not available or present.

So at this point I have already removed and cleaned the HDD's board contacts, no help. Before I go ahead and crack it open are there any other thoughts. I am almost certain the drive is dead, even though there is some normal load up ticking from it at boot, but then nothing else. Thanks for any help.

I was recently given an older HP pavilion desktop and was told by the previous owner that they could not get it to work, but we're vague as to exact issue(s)/error(s). I figured I would just I use it for parts anyway so did not puruse what was wrong.

I decided that I would at least fire it up to see what would happen. At first it seemed normal... No OS found and so on. I figured they had wiped clean so okay I'll just install an OS. I tried installing my Windows 10 and when choosing custom install it gets to the part where you have to choose a partition. Oddly enough it shows just one unallocated area, and it has 0 MB available. I cannot do anything with it.

Tried it in another PC and PC went right to scanning HDD for errors. It scanned my working HDD and in a short time said repaired successfully, (did not know there was an issue), and then started working on the suspect HDD. It took at least 6+ hours, and when I woke up PC had apparently finished successfully and shut down. The repair situation has not occurred again, but......

Now the suspect HDD is not recognized at all. In fact on boot up I get a message stating error auto sensing secondary master hard disk drive. Even when I run a diagnostic test the test for the HDD just shows something like HDD not available or present.

So at this point I have already removed and cleaned the HDD's board contacts, no help. Before I go ahead and crack it open are there any other thoughts. I am almost certain the drive is dead, even though there is some normal load up ticking from it at boot, but then nothing else. Thanks for any help.
Cracking it open will not fix it, that thing is dead as a doornail.

TRENDING THREADS