[SOLVED] HDD not spinning when trying to recover data through adapter

Aug 14, 2020
Hello,

I bought a USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA Converter Adapter from Unitek. I have an old IDE HDD at home of which I want to recover data from. When I connect everything, the adapter is lighting up but my drive is not spinning/starting up. I have a Maxtor Diamond Plus 80GB ATA/133 HDD. It's 3.5". It was working before I got a new computer.

Thanks in advance,

Sjahid Dahoe

Last edited:
Solution
Hello,

I bought a USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA Converter Adapter from Unitek. I have an old IDE HDD at home of which I want to recover data from. When I connect everything, the adapter is lighting up but my drive is not spinning/starting up. I have a Maxtor Diamond Plus 80GB ATA/133 HDD. It's 3.5". It was working before I got a new computer.

Thanks in advance,

Sjahid Dahoe
How old exactly is this drive, how long ago did you last use it, and how did you store it, it's not impossible for it to have broken even if it was just lying in a drawer.
Just connecting the molex power to the drive and nothing else should make the drive spin up, use a molex cable from your PC PSU, or use a sata to molex adaptor, just to make sure that the power...

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,

I bought a USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA Converter Adapter from you guys through amazon. I have an old IDE HDD at home of which I want to recover data from. When I connect everything, the adapter is lighting up but my drive is not spinning/starting up. I have a Maxtor Diamond Plus 80GB ATA/133 HDD. It's 3.5". It was working before I got a new computer.

Thanks in advance,

Sjahid Dahoe
What is the specific adapter?
Link, please.

Reactions: Krotow
Do you have it plugged into power? There should be a separate power adapter which came with it. Although some of those adapters don’t include one.

Also, plug the adapter into the hard drive first. Then plug into power and turn on. The last step is to plug it into your computers USB port. That’s at least how mine works.

Reactions: Krotow
I have similar adapter. Had some issues with bundled 12V power supply and older drives because it sometimes doesn't support enough power to start them. Some older drives want 4A current on start, however this PSU give only 2A. It may or may not be issue here. Other possible issue - incompatible USB port. Front USB ports sometimes glitch pretty hard. I believe, OP must try to connect the drive to computer in this particular order:
  • Connect drive to adapter, including power cable. Connect bundled power supply to adapter. Plug power supply into wall.
  • Turn adapter on. Drive should spin up. If it doesn't, search another 12V DC power supply with at least 4A current support. Power connector is 2.1 mm Jack (at least for my adapter). This one should work.
  • If drive is running, plug adapter USB cable into computer. If drive is not recognized in particular USB socket, try different socket. At least one should work.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks in advance,

Sjahid Dahoe
How old exactly is this drive, how long ago did you last use it, and how did you store it, it's not impossible for it to have broken even if it was just lying in a drawer.
Just connecting the molex power to the drive and nothing else should make the drive spin up, use a molex cable from your PC PSU, or use a sata to molex adaptor, just to make sure that the power is ok.

Solution