Question HDD/ NVMe/ Data "Size"/ Date

Pez

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Hi all.

I recently got an NVMe drive. Inside of my tower case, in addition to my "C" drive (which happens to be an SSD drive), I had an additional, separate hard drive. However, I wanted to replace that additional hard drive because I've had it for a while and did not want to take the chance of it failing and losing the data on it.

I got myself a Western Digital Blue, SN570 1 Terabyte NVMe drive. I installed it, then copied over all the data on the other hard drive to it; a couple of inquiries:

- In the original extra hard drive I had had in my tower case, a standard Western Digital 1 Terabyte hard drive (with the spinning discs inside!!), if I opened up "This PC" and right-clicked on the drive and selected Properties, it showed:
Capacity: 931 GB
Used Space: 422 GB
Free Space: 508 GB

On the brand-new NVMe drive I just installed, if I right-clicked on it/ Properties, it showed:
Used Space: 131 MB
Free Space: 931 GB

Both drives, being a Terabyte, showed the same Capacity of 931 GB. And you may have noticed that with the NVMe drive, even though it was brand new, it shows the Used Space as having 131 "MB" (Megabytes, not Gigabytes); I underlined it in case you didn't notice. Those Megabytes are a tiny amount, so it didn't really effect the Free Space amount as it was still 931 GB. I don't know what those 131 MB's consist of; something Western Digital puts on there?? I have "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives" enabled, but the drive displays as being empty/ blank.

However, here's the weird part: I had exactly 40 folders on my spare hard drive that I wanted to copy over to the new NVMe drive (those 40 folders adding up to that 422 GB). Inside of these 40 folders were other sub-folders, files, etc. After copying everything over - all the same 40 folders - here's what the NVMe drive read when I right-clicked and selected Properties:
Used Space: 416 GB
Free Space: 514 GB

How is that possible? If this brand new NVMe drive was blank/ empty, and I copied over everything from the previous drive (exactly all 40 folders), why don't the numbers match?

The old hard drive:
Used Space: 422 GB
Free Space: 508 GB
After copying over to the new NVMe drive:
Used Space: 416 GB
Free Space: 514 GB

There's a difference of 6 GB (Used Space/ Free Space). If it was MB, that could be negligible....but GB's?

I thought I missed something but went and checked, but no, I got it all correct: All 40 folders were copied over and inside of each were their respective sub-folders and files.

So why doesn't the data size match? Does it have something to do with the difference between a standard hard drive and an NVMe drive?

And the other thing....

I did some searching on this, and evidently it's quite common, but I don't know if there will be an easy fix for this.

- After copying over all 40 of those folders from one drive to the other, on the NVMe drive, the Date Modified column in Explorer all have the same exact Date: The date that I performed the copy. I was hoping it would have retained the original date/ dates that were there when it was on the old hard drive.

If I open one of those 40 folders, the other sub-folders inside have that same date, too, but the individual files - whether they be text documents, picture files, video files, etc. - they all kept their original dates from the old drive.

Is there any way to get the folders to show the original Date they were Created/ Modified from when I copied them over from the old drive?

Perhaps this had something to do with the manner in which I copied the folders over (right-click a folder/ drag/ Copy Here). I read something about using a Copy command using a CMD prompt....but it may be too late for that since I have everything copied over already :confused_old: And after all, it was 422 GB's of data....

Thanks for any helpful info;
Pez

I'd guess that small 131 mb of space used on the new drive was mostly WD firmware.

I'd guess that the apparent less space occupied by your files after you copied them over to the NVMe was due to slack space on the old drive.......some of the sectors on that spinning drive were in fact only partially full, but the empty portion of those sectors can't be used for some other file...therefore the entire sector is reported as if it were fully occupied.

USAFRet

Titan
Fragmentation.

A 'cluster' is likely 4kb in size.
A file that is 3kb, but spread across 4 clusters would be shown as consuming 16kb.

Copy that same 3kb file to a new drive, and it will likely reside in a single cluster. Consuming only 4kb.

Pez

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Hi Lafong & USAFRet; thanks for the replies.

Yes, what both of you are saying makes sense. Given that my older drive is of the spinning platters type......yes, data is stored differently on there as opposed to the newer SSD/ NVMe drives.

And yes, good point about that File Explorer option of "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"; I forgot about that one. That's an option I usually don't mess with and leave that option Checked.

But hey, anything on the other item I mentioned? The thing about the Date on the folders? Or Date Created/ Modified? Too late to do anything now and I just have to live with it? ;) Unless, of course, I want to delete them all and copy them all over again.

Pez

USAFRet

Titan
But hey, anything on the other item I mentioned? The thing about the Date on the folders? Or Date Created/ Modified? Too late to do anything now and I just have to live with it? ;) Unless, of course, I want to delete them all and copy them all over again.
With a Copy, the Date Created will be the date you did it.

You are creating NEW folders and files on the target drive. Created <Today>

danski0224

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
With a Copy, the Date Created will be the date you did it.

You are creating NEW folders and files on the target drive. Created <Today>

Thought I would ask here before starting a new thread...

Is there a way to preserve the original creation date of the folders when copying them from the old computer to the new one?

USAFRet

Titan
Thought I would ask here before starting a new thread...

Is there a way to preserve the original creation date of the folders when copying them from the old computer to the new one?
Not that I know of.

In the new computer, it is literally a new item. New hardware, new OS...
File, folder, whatever.
Creation date is when you did it.

Why is Creation Date such a big need?

TRENDING THREADS