HDD or SSD

kombivan

Honorable
Jun 4, 2016
I have a simple question about ssd these are run by many switches so I am assuming when 1 switch stuffs up either the info at that point is lost or the whole drives stops running please correct me if my thinking is wrong with this where as a HDD may stuff up and stop running but you can kick start these drives with a jolt of electricity or a hit tap or even remove the disc and put it in another Hdd case, can you do any of these things with a ssd to get your data back when drive is stuffed?

Solution
SSD run checks on their cells regularly to see which ones are bad and mark them so when they allocate memory to PC for storage they can avoid the bad cells.

You can look at their SMART scores which will show how reliable they currently are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.
Lots of utilities can show you hdd/SSD smart scores

unlike HDD they won't start ticking before they die, they can just stop since they solid state and can be dropped while running, unlike a hdd
You can not fix a ssd or a hard drive by such simple measures as kicking it.

Impending failure is usually preceded by a warning.
Take a backup and replace the drive.

Because there are no moving parts, a ssd stands to be a bit more reliable.
The main negative of a ssd is the cost per gb.

kombivan

Honorable
Jun 4, 2016

well this computer I am using was stuffed by lightening I replaced everything except the harddrive it wouldn't run its an ide drive not hot swapable what I did was put it in a mobile rack in another computer while it was running and whalla it started rinning and its been running since May no problems so who's smoking what now?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Well... I think i now see answer to this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3148444/0xc0000221-0xc0000225-0xc0000098.html

Get a new drive as well. If PC was plugged in when it was hit by lightning, then PC was in hybred hibernate and it would have fried drive as well. One of solutions to 0xc0000221 even mentions bad hardware.

SSD does have switches but they on a nanometer scale and too small for you or any of us to even do anything about,

kombivan

Honorable
Jun 4, 2016

that would sum it up well. But I did get drive going again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
SSD run checks on their cells regularly to see which ones are bad and mark them so when they allocate memory to PC for storage they can avoid the bad cells.

You can look at their SMART scores which will show how reliable they currently are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.
Lots of utilities can show you hdd/SSD smart scores

unlike HDD they won't start ticking before they die, they can just stop since they solid state and can be dropped while running, unlike a hdd

Solution

kombivan

Honorable
Jun 4, 2016
just thought you knew i was building a new puter for win 10pro 64 bit. I'm keeping the xp's and win 98 cause somtimes i help others but its been a while since people need help with restore etc.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't keep track of everyone I help, i recognised your name from helping before but details of what i did for you are a little blurry :)

My 1st PC (I owned) had 98 on it, 17 years ago. How time flies, i remember going to buy it too. and getting home to find we didn't have a power cable. XP wasn't too bad, the playskool like theme. Then people would die rather than upgrade from it in the end. Some people just never upgraded and now wonder why the Australian Census won't run on their Vista operating system, and blame the Census when really their PC is 10 years old.

My 1st computer came with BASIC on it, 16k of ram, 16 colours and a tape deck for storage. I look at what i have now and marvel at how much its changed.

kombivan

Honorable
Jun 4, 2016

My son started in about 1988 annd we found a telstra computer at the tip that could talk in a robotic like voice but it would not swear so we started improvising like 6uldv8 or duckyou want to have 6 i am dv8 and shit tike this then we advanced to prank calls to the local computer guru's messing with their heads a little those were the day or would get a puter and it would ask for a boot disk this is late 80's like whats a boot disk I didn't find out till late 90 kept telling my son puters were crap and going nowhere untill I got the internet for school in 1999 then you couldn't get me off it.My handle used to be rootyou i told puter off cause i couldn't get a unique I'd was great until I hop the fence and went to tafe for It education well the internet teacher asked us to send her an email from our email account well I just happened to have a few next thing I upp the office getting yelle at even screamed at lectured the whole thim this teacher is pulling faces at me when the boss wasn't looking and that was my introduction to the internet. so different fronm the lounge room to the classroom I thought everyone had a sense of humour.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I did a computing course in college when they were still using TRS 80, and Apple 2 in the early 80's, then looked at IT and it was all business and didn't look like fun. Had a break from computers again until mid 90's when I had to use them for work and they were still using win 3.1 for workgroups. Simulated dumb terminals. Only got control when I got a win 95 PC.

Found out about internet because i got along with guys in helpdesk and they showed us a backdoor as we weren't meant to have access to a new thing like the net at work. Internet wasn't much good in 1997. After I lost that job due to outsourcing I did another IT course and haven't lost interest since as PC were finally almost good enough to play games on. Never had an IT job, its just a hobby. Think I would hate it if I had to do it :)

kombivan

Honorable
Jun 4, 2016

Yep I would hate an It job but I enjoyed fixing computers till now think I almost worked out that 0xc0000221 etc gotta test my theory later.