HDD partitions dead

code_numb

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
My laptop HDD partitions are almost dead. only one partition out of 3 is working now.i tried to edit partition table with windows install disk, but I couldn’t :( .now im running on linux. i tried reinstall OS but failed(installation taking too much time).But there is now noice or clicking sound from HDD. Anyone knw any tools to repair.

Hi there code_numb,

You just need to back up the data stored on the drive.
The HDD is most probably in a really poor condition, due to multiple bad sectors. You can see if this is the case if you check the SMART data out.
In case it is, then unfortunately, you will not be able to fix it, as bad sectors would continue to appear.

It is not necessarily for a failing drive to make some unusual sounds.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

xFeaRDom

Estimable
If your HDD is clicking, it is definitely time to buy a new HDD to replace it, ensure that it is of a similar make, so it can fit inside your laptop. If you get this HDD as soon as possible, you can replace the current one, and get any files off of it before it is too late.

The clicking sound basically means that your HDD is failing and dying, and that is probably the most common way of telling that you HDD is on its way out. Also known as the "Click of Death".

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/26988/Any+one+know+how+to+fix+clicking+noise

That can explain how to get some of the data off of it if it is still on there.

If your laptop is in warranty, contact the manufacturer and they should offer to replace it for you.

code_numb

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

there is no clicking sound from my hdd
[can u suggest a good reliable durable hdd for laptop]