Question HDD performance - Games stuttering on HDD but not on SSD ?

xKuLee

Honorable
Sep 3, 2015
Greetings,

I have noticed unplayable performance on some games that i have on my HDD

I am using a Crucial MX500 250GB SSD as main drive and a seagate barracuda 2tb which i bought couple months ago as secondary drive for large games since my ssd is smaller.
I also use a third SSHD 1TB for files only pictures vids etc

When i am playing League of legends or valorant on ssd the performance is very stable at very high framerates

When i play the same games on the HDD the framerates are high but when minions spawn i get huge frametimes like 300ms a frame when the rest of the gameplay runs at 9-14ms frametime

I see this behavior on csgo - valorant - league of legends, i know an SSD is much faster but i didn't have ssd all my life and games used to work fine in HDDs so i wonder if there is an issue with mine
or because we are at 2022 HDD should not be used for gaming any more also these games are not even open world or demanding, im gonna post crystalmark screenshots here

Is there any other test i can do to see if my hdd performs bad?

The disk is freshly formated not fragmented access time arround 1ms - 3ms based on hdtune results

Benchmarks & S.M.A.R.T Results : View: https://imgur.com/a/1niwea8

Lutfij

Titan
You should consider having the games on the SSHD and the important files on the HDD(if it's not old). HDD's are slower than an SSHD and even more slower than an SSD. Likewise a 5400RPM (hard disk)drive will be slower than an 7200RPM (hard disk)drive. As for your question about HDD testing tools, Seagate have their own Seatools suite, you can use that to see if your drive is on it's way out but I'd just leave an HDD to be with important files(and those that are seldom used) and entrust the games library over to even a cheap SATA based SSD.

xKuLee

Honorable
Sep 3, 2015
You should consider having the games on the SSHD and the important files on the HDD(if it's not old). HDD's are slower than an SSHD and even more slower than an SSD. Likewise a 5400RPM (hard disk)drive will be slower than an 7200RPM (hard disk)drive. As for your question about HDD testing tools, Seagate have their own Seatools suite, you can use that to see if your drive is on it's way out but I'd just leave an HDD to be with important files(and those that are seldom used) and entrust the games library over to even a cheap SATA based SSD.

the SSHD have really long access times 15ms or something while the brand new HDD has 1-3ms better performance

Also my HDD is the barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM supposedly a fast hdd so why do games act up like this is it me? or the gaming world now must use SSD cuz hdd is not fast enought anymore