[SOLVED] HDD performance usage 100%

mhmd shoumar

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
Hi, I have a Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD, recently after win 10 updates, the pc becomes so slow and when I open task manager, in the process menu the disk % appears low but when I open the performance tab the disk usage is 100%. I normally wait 2-3 minutes and the usage comes back to normal again. Is there a fix?

Solution
Hi, I have a Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD, recently after win 10 updates, the pc becomes so slow and when I open task manager, in the process menu the disk % appears low but when I open the performance tab the disk usage is 100%. I normally wait 2-3 minutes and the usage comes back to normal again. Is there a fix?
Seagate Barracuda is SMR drive.
Not usable for installing windows on it. It is meant for archives and backups.
Such behavior on Seagate Barracuda drive is normal.

Get SSD for windows (like everybody else).

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the HDD in question? Just for the sake of relevance, what OS version are you currently on? If the resource usage on your platform is 100% in spite of being idle, that's a sign that you're suffering from a memory leak, which is a corruption of the OS(seen on Windows 8 and above). The only way around it is to reinstall the OS.

Reactions: mhmd shoumar

mhmd shoumar

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
How old is the HDD in question? Just for the sake of relevance, what OS version are you currently on? If the resource usage on your platform is 100% in spite of being idle, that's a sign that you're suffering from a memory leak, which is a corruption of the OS(seen on Windows 8 and above). The only way around it is to reinstall the OS.
Its 2 years old, version 20H2. Yea it might be corruption since the pc shuts down suddenly due to blackouts(we have electricity problems in our country) many times per day. Thanks for your quick reply

Seagate Barracuda is SMR drive.
Not usable for installing windows on it. It is meant for archives and backups.
Such behavior on Seagate Barracuda drive is normal.

Get SSD for windows (like everybody else).

Solution

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
you can use the command line as an admin to fix this start with chkdsk /r and enter y for yes to start disk checking on next boot could take some time to finish, run chkdsk /f after that same thing but shorter, next run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth from the comand line as admin this will rebuild your image data base, then run sfc /scannow this will work on the repairs to the OS

Reactions: mhmd shoumar