[SOLVED] HDD possibly causing File Explorer to freeze or even black screen the whole windows

McP12345

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
My specs are:

B450M Mortar
Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1660
2x8 T-Force RAM
250GB Crucible SSD
3TB WD HDD
500GB WD HDD

Whenever I open the 500GB HDD on File Explorer, it has a delayed opening time on folders, fails copying files midway to another drive. Disk checking thru command prompt and the GUI doesn't work (the progress bar never moves) . CrystalDisk isn't working on it, WinDirStat takes longer than it should to analyze the largest files.

Is it possible that the drive itself may be damaged/defective already? I didn't bubble wrap it and was still attached to the case during flight. Beforehand, it still worked albeit with some problems.

Can the wires and SATA cable still be a potential factor or is it the HDD itself?

Sidenote: SSD is fine according to diskcheck and the 3TB HDD was bubblewrapped and has no problem loading games and opening files

Solution
Tested it, still delays the bootup process, can read but can't write large files properly (copying pasting). If I switch from SATA to an HDD reader, does it fix the computer from crashing due to being unable to be read properly?

I've already backed up the sentimental photos, the rest are leftovers from our old computer

Is it a new drive inserted with a loaded OS on it? You need to tweak the ownership of it before you can use the drive. I assume it's not the case?

You can run chkdsk (either on desktop CMD or on boot) and set it to fix the problems automatically (be aware there's an array of commands for it. Let me know what it says like bad sectors or anything.

It's a sign of a:
  • slowly dying HDD
  • HDD with lots of...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The cables can always be a factor, the only way to eliminate that is to try other cables and failing that, other ports. If it's not, I'd suspect a hardware problem itself with the drive, which means it'll be time to send it off for recycling.

McP12345

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
The cables can always be a factor, the only way to eliminate that is to try other cables and failing that, other ports. If it's not, I'd suspect a hardware problem itself with the drive, which means it'll be time to send it off for recycling.

I will try testing the cables, if ever the issue is with the physical HDD itself, can it still be recovered using the data recovery programs like Recuva?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I will try testing the cables, if ever the issue is with the physical HDD itself, can it still be recovered using the data recovery programs like Recuva?

You can try but there's no guarantee. That the drive can still actually be read makes this possible, though certainly not guaranteed. After software, your next solution would be a data recovery firm, which is not inexpensive; a good firm will cost you as much as the PC did.

Unfortunately, the only dependable way to protect important data is to protect it in the first place, with multiple backups.

McP12345

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
You can try but there's no guarantee. That the drive can still actually be read makes this possible, though certainly not guaranteed. After software, your next solution would be a data recovery firm, which is not inexpensive; a good firm will cost you as much as the PC did.

Unfortunately, the only dependable way to protect important data is to protect it in the first place, with multiple backups.
Tested it, still delays the bootup process, can read but can't write large files properly (copying pasting). If I switch from SATA to an HDD reader, does it fix the computer from crashing due to being unable to be read properly?

I've already backed up the sentimental photos, the rest are leftovers from our old computer

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

Is it a new drive inserted with a loaded OS on it? You need to tweak the ownership of it before you can use the drive. I assume it's not the case?

You can run chkdsk (either on desktop CMD or on boot) and set it to fix the problems automatically (be aware there's an array of commands for it. Let me know what it says like bad sectors or anything.

It's a sign of a:
  • slowly dying HDD
  • HDD with lots of unfixed soft side and physical side bad sectors.

try disconnecting the said drive from your PC and let me know if you still are having problems. That's how you determine if it's the culprit or not.
You've mentioned recovering data from it? Well that's a good idea, but bad for it's health if it is dying. It can accelerate its deterioration. Recover it ASAP and avoid using it if unnecessary.

Last edited:
Solution