Question Hdd power management issue

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Hi thanks for looking. I have a nvme ssd as my main drive that's working fine and I have a sata hdd for additional storage also working fine but I have a problem with power management for the sata drive. After 20 mins or so the sata drive powers down because it's inactive. But every 30 seconds after that it powers on then off! Continuously throughout my whole session on the pc? The drive is currently empty, there's no data on it or files that need to be accessed. I just don't understand why it keeps powering up then down. It's mainly the click it makes as it powers down that's annoying me!

Any ideas please?

Thanks.

Mod Edit: OS = Windows 10

Ralston18

Titan
Observe system performance per Resource Monitor or Task Manager.

Use both to observe but only one at a time.

See if you can determine what happens or otherwise causes the HDD to power up again.

Next, consider foregoing power saving on the HDD and just leave it fully powered.

Power savings is likely negligible anyway....

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
The cost of running an HDD 24 hours a day, 365 days/year, is on the order of $7 per year.
In the context of whole house electricity consumption, not even a rounding error.

Haha thanks. Putting it into that perspective I'm not at all bothered about saving energy haha. My old workstation used to use more than that per week. I was thinking more along the lines of prolonging the life of the drive but for what they cost these days it seems pointless putting up with the click every 30 seconds.

Thanks again.