[SOLVED] HDD Power on time 3068 days...

Jan 10, 2022
Hello guys Im a bit worried because the 2TB HITACHI hdd (from 2010) I just bough from CEX it says 3068 days power on time, thats like 8 years and a half. and also it says more than 100 days Estimated remaining lifetime while all of my other drives say more than 1000 days. Im planning to use this hdd as a secundary drive to store games . Should I be worried , whats the best way to test the hdd is funcioning correctly and is the remaining lifetime shown on HDsentinel accurate ?
7g5sdwhltsa81.png

Solution
It probably was a HDD used for an office computer or a server that remained on all the time, it's also the time that the system was under power, the system is only switched off a couple of time for maintenance / upgrade...
It probably was a HDD used for an office computer or a server that remained on all the time, it's also the time that the system was under power, the system is only switched off a couple of time for maintenance / upgrade...

Solution
A hard drive does not report an expected remaining lifetime, but many SSDs do. The normalised value of a HDD's Power On Hours attribute sometimes reflects the expected life of the drive, but the manufacturer usually does not document how it is calculated,

HD Sentinel's author is just expressing his/her opinion, presumably based on an analysis of SMART data over the life of the program.

Last edited: