Question HDD "Power on Time" wrong (less than it should be) ?

sully5981

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2012
Hello,

I have been running 5 HDD on a synology server for years now (like many years). I have been waiting for some HDDs to fail, but still patiently waiting. Most of my HDD are between 71100 hours and 77500 hours. I have yet to change any out. However, recently one HDD is now reading a Power on Time of ~3102 hours. It should be between 71100 and 77500. SMART also read the disk as healthy. I find it strange that it has this low of a number. Has anyone else encountered this or has a plausible explanation?

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model drives? Capacity, how full, how are the drives being used?

Could be that the HDD in question if starting to fail in some manner that is skewing the Power on Time value.

Anything else different about that drive in comparison to the other drives?

= = = =

And I trust that all data on those HDD's is backed up to other locations - correct?

sully5981

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2012
Make and model drives? Capacity, how full, how are the drives being used?

Could be that the HDD in question if starting to fail in some manner that is skewing the Power on Time value.

Anything else different about that drive in comparison to the other drives?

= = = =

And I trust that all data on those HDD's is backed up to other locations - correct?
Yea, so far things seem to be working well. Everything is backed up of course. Just waiting for that failure. Really wanting to see how long these drives will last.

the one in question is ST4000DM000 (4tb HDD). Unsure of how much data is written to that specific disk as it is in Synology Hybrid Raid with one disk fault tolerance. With 5 disk, storage pool is 14.31 TB but only using 3.86 TB total. I have another disk with the same model, that is the winner with over 77500 hours. Others are 4TB reds.

I think everything will work out, I was just curious as to if anyone has seen their power on numbers reduce. Its almost like I can sell it new now (really wouldn't do that)

Can you show us the SMART reports for your ST4000DM000 drives? I would prefer that you use CrystalDiskInfo or HDDScan, as they both report the attribute values in hexadecimal.

I suspect that there may be a firmware bug which limits the Power On Hours count to 16 bits. This means that the count would roll over to 0 when it exceeds 65535 (= 2^16 - 1).

Does this model report the Head Flying Hours? If so, has this attribute also rolled over?

If the Head Flying Hours is greater than the Power On Hours, then this would confirm that there is a firmware bug.

Last edited: