[SOLVED] HDD PROBLEM

JIANNY

Commendable
Feb 4, 2021
I have a WD 500gb (WD5000AAKX) and is clicking,i have power to the motor,i cleaned rust from the pcb,i opened the hdd(i had mask,gloves,special tools) the motor is spinning when i rotate it with my finger(I DIDN`T TOUCHED THE PLATERS)The ride/write heads aren t stuck,the platers have no damage.PLS HELP:coldsweat:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
i cleaned rust from the pcb

Rust on PCB indicates water damage or the very least, too high moisture environment.

i opened the hdd(i had mask,gloves,special tools)

Unless the room where you were, when you opened your HDD, isn't hermetically sealed dust- and static-free clean room, your HDD is good as gone. Since there are dust particles in regular air which now got inside the HDD, including on the platters and you've contaminated the HDD internals.
Most physical damage cannot be repaired by end users. For example, opening a hard disk drive in a normal environment can allow airborne dust to settle on the platter and become caught between the platter and the read/write head.
During normal operation, read/write heads float 3 to 6 nanometers above the platter surface, and the average dust particles found in a normal environment are typically around 30,000 nanometers in diameter. When these dust particles get caught between the read/write heads and the platter, they can cause new head crashes that further damage the platter and thus compromise the recovery process. Furthermore, end users generally do not have the hardware or technical expertise required to make these repairs.
Consequently, data recovery companies are often employed to salvage important data with the more reputable ones using class 100 dust- and static-free cleanrooms.

If the data on your HDD is valuable for you, your best bet getting it is bringing your HDD to data recovery firm. Depending on how much additional damage you created by opening up your HDD, the price of data recovery can easily skyrocket.

Btw, i've had two WD 500 GB HDDs die on my with relatively short period of time and from now on, i'll avoid 500 GB drives from WD. Though, the 1TB WD drive [WD10EZEX] has really good reliability and i've several in use, for many years, without issues.

the motor is spinning when i rotate it with my finger(I DIDN`T TOUCHED THE PLATERS)The ride/write heads aren t stuck,the platers have no damage.
Well - the absolute lat thing you should have done is opening it's lid, letting in contamination (always in air) and dust particles. And air - hdd are pressurized with a special kind of gas with the characteristics needed so that the r/w head will actually fly on a very thin layer of gas between it and the platters.

This is the part where we normally would discuss restoration from backup copy, but from what you write it seems you have no backup ?

JIANNY

Commendable
Feb 4, 2021
1.I had the hdd for 8,9,10 years
2.I had the rust for a loot of time (and hdd was running)
3.The dust it didnt get in
4.Data recovery center are very expensive in my country

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
1.I had the hdd for 8,9,10 years

Nothing lasts for forever and you getting 8-10 years out of that HDD is exceptional. The two i had, both died within 1 year.

I want to make the hdd to spin

If you're that tech-savy, why not removing the PCB and connecting power source directly to the HDD motor? It doesn't need much power to spin. During read/write, the HDD consumes only 6W of power.

"very thin" is an understatement...lol
We're talking in the range of 3-5 nanometers.
It's was late evening, so I didn't add the spaceship history that I've used before to illustrate.

For the gas - it doesn't matter if it is helium or something else - there are dust inside now (I highly doubt OP sits in a vacuum lab while dismantling the hdd) and the dust particles are just like having fork lifts raining down on a pile of motherboards - those just won't be of any use any longer.

Reactions: Krotow

JIANNY

Commendable
Feb 4, 2021
i opened my hdd,nothing is happening.The read write arm is not working,motor is not working.NOW i dont want to see things like (ah you opened your hdd ,you lose data,cuz the the hdd is made in a clean room)i know this <Mod edit> .(My hdd is a WD 5000AAKX.)
i dont want a full data recovery and Recovery centers are very exepensive in my country

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFRet

Titan
i opened my hdd,nothing is happening.The read write arm is not working,motor is not working.NOW i dont want to see things like (ah you opened your hdd ,you lose data,cuz the the hdd is made in a clean room)i know this <Mod edit> .(My hdd is a WD 5000AAKX.)
i dont want a full data recovery and Recovery centers are very exepensive in my country
So what was the original reason for taking the cover off it?

The same drive from here?

Last edited:
Buy a new drive and restore from backups.

Your next option is to buy a donor WD harddrive that has the same firmware on it and try swapping boards on the drive. this will only get to to maybe a spinning drive and head movement. But you're SOL because you opened the drive without a clean room. A data recovery company might be able to clean the platters and get information back but it would be a long shot.

Your last option is buy a new drive and start over

JIANNY

Commendable
Feb 4, 2021
So what was the original reason for taking the cover off it?

The same drive from here?
yes

JIANNY

Commendable
Feb 4, 2021
Buy a new drive and restore from backups.

Your next option is to buy a donor WD harddrive that has the same firmware on it and try swapping boards on the drive. this will only get to to maybe a spinning drive and head movement. But you're SOL because you opened the drive without a clean room. A data recovery company might be able to clean the platters and get information back but it would be a long shot.

Your last option is buy a new drive and start over
there is a problem if a put the hdd down and blow with compresed air at a low pression?