HDD/PSU error? Help needed!

Danny Parkinson

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
Hello there everyone, I have been browsing the net for a few days trying to find the solution to my problem with no avail. So I have come to the Tom's Hardware forum community to see If I can find an answer to my quandary:

This started a few days ago, I turned on my pc, everything was working fine as per usual then all of a sudden It slowed down to a crawl. I could move the mouse, however, It would only respond a few seconds after I had moved It.

So I went through the usual channels, virus scan, dskchk, and everything seemed In order. I restarted the machine several times only to discover a new problem, It would no longer load up windows It would instead stay on a black screen but yet again I was able to move the mouse cursor around (albeit very VERY slowly).

I thought this may have been a HDD issue as the drive Its self Is over five years old. The rest of the pc has been re-build within the past month bar the power supply. I went out today and bought a new HDD and after Installing windows and all my drivers It did the same thing ONCE. Now however It seems to be okay.

Any advice/knowledge you could share would be greatly appreciated, as all my university work Is on here (but Is now backed up.) However I still need to do work and I would really like to be able to rest easy knowing that my PC isn't going to pack In all of a sudden.

Thank you all In advance

-Danny

Danny Parkinson

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014

hey there HiTechObsessed these are my specs from my dxdiag:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 3/13/2014, 15:57:34
Machine name: DANNY-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUS
System Model: All Series
BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/19/13 16:28:31 Ver: 08.04
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8130MB RAM
Page File: 2508MB used, 13750MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

My PSU Is a 750W Antec ATX 12.V V2.3

It presented the same problem twice again yesterday so I'm lost as to what It Is and I really need It repairing to ensure I don't lose my work.

-Danny