Question HDD random sound

Jun 7, 2021
Hi, one of my hard discs was making weird noise, although SMART was saying everything is correct I decided to replace it just in case a couple months ago. The new HDD is now making the same noise and SMART also says everything is ok. The hard disc has a single partition with EXT4 for linux and if I boot into windows it keeps making the same noise.

I'm asking here just in case anyone can help me identify it. Thanks a lot.

https://ufile.io/gd5kqfn6

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

I could hear sort of a bump sound in the audio clip but could not really make anything out.

Is the drive data backed up?

Jun 7, 2021
Hi, thanks for the help. The system is 2 years old except for the back HDD.
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
  • 32 Ram (4 Crucial 8GB 2400)
  • Asrock Z370 PRO4 1151
  • NVIDIA GP106 (second hand)

Hard Drives:
  • HP EX950 M.2 (with Gentoo Linux)
  • SSD KINGSTON A400 (with Windows 10)
  • Western Digital Red: WD40EFAX (for backups) That's the one doing weird noise. 4TB with 200Gb free. It's 2 months old, replacing another HDD that starting doing the same noise but no other problem whatsoever.

PSU:
  • Nox NXS750
  • 750W
  • 2 years old, bought with the rest of the pc.

I think this is not a HDD issue, but rather have something to do with the power supply.

Since you have the ability to record, I'd ask if you can do at lest two records for comparison:
  • Keep the mic close to the PSU.
  • Same, but close to the HDD.
Do not change input sensitivity between.

That way, I can open in Audacity (os just do it yourself) and try to examine where the sounds originate from.

Ralston18

Titan
A guy named "Murphy" likes to show up in such circumstances....

Make another set of backups.

If things are going astray, for whatever reasons, do not leave anything to doubt.

At least two sets of backups. Verified recoverable and readable.

Both sets off of the host computer and stored at different unconnected locations.