HDD Randomly Looses Power

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NateBeast

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
I have had some issues with my HDD, so I was running a CHKDSK because it said there were errors. After 1-1.5 hrs I come back to my HDD and it's not vibrating at all, no sounds or anything. I unplug the power and plug it back in and it starts up again. This HDD also sometimes randomly disappears or shows up incorrectly in Windows. It's a Seagate Barracuda Recertified Drive that I got from RMAing it. It is outside my case currently on a Motherboard box. The HDD is warm to the touch. Could it be a cooling issue? The HDD errors do happen though while it is in the case, with a fan on it. SeaTools tests have showed no errors.

Solution
Yay, problem solved. For around 1-2 days I had my HDD unplugged from my PC and I was using it. I had just done a Windows update, so I was really bored waiting for it. I decided to plug my hard drive in, and voila! It showed up and has been working since, through updates and restarts and shutdowns. Thanks everyone :)

NateBeast

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
So I've just plugged the SSD into another PC and it does not show up in file explorer, disk management or device manager. Also my normal PC freezes when I plug in the HDD after Windows boots and is on the desktop. Rarely I get into the desktop though, and it boots for like 2-3 mins and then sometimes gets to desktop. Other times the PC just freezes randomly. Does all of this mean bad SSD?

NateBeast

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015

Oh OK. That would make sense as the SSD shows in BIOS. As for issues with the SATA ports, does that mean I would need a new motherboard?

maybe not, they have PCI-e to Sata bridge cards that add Sata connections. This will only help if the C: drive can stay plugged into the motherboard ports. At this point you can not boot from PCI-e unless it is the M.2. connection which is run off the PCI-e lanes.

NateBeast

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
Yay, problem solved. For around 1-2 days I had my HDD unplugged from my PC and I was using it. I had just done a Windows update, so I was really bored waiting for it. I decided to plug my hard drive in, and voila! It showed up and has been working since, through updates and restarts and shutdowns. Thanks everyone :)

Solution