HDD Randomly Looses Power

NateBeast

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
I have had some issues with my HDD, so I was running a CHKDSK because it said there were errors. After 1-1.5 hrs I come back to my HDD and it's not vibrating at all, no sounds or anything. I unplug the power and plug it back in and it starts up again. This HDD also sometimes randomly disappears or shows up incorrectly in Windows. It's a Seagate Barracuda Recertified Drive that I got from RMAing it. It is outside my case currently on a Motherboard box. The HDD is warm to the touch. Could it be a cooling issue? The HDD errors do happen though while it is in the case, with a fan on it. SeaTools tests have showed no errors.

Solution
Yay, problem solved. For around 1-2 days I had my HDD unplugged from my PC and I was using it. I had just done a Windows update, so I was really bored waiting for it. I decided to plug my hard drive in, and voila! It showed up and has been working since, through updates and restarts and shutdowns. Thanks everyone :)
is it possible that your issue is caused by the HDD turning off because the power options are set to turn it off after 20 mins of non use? This happens with secondary drives. After mine turn off after the 20 mins, I click on a short cut that leads to that drive and I can hear it spin up, and it takes a short time to load items since it was asleep.

Power options/ change plan settings/ change advanced power settings/ Hard Disk/ turn off hard disk after...

NateBeast

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
So it was working perfectly even after multiple restarts, but now after being shut down for 30 mins, the HDD says that it is RAW. I can see all the files but I cannot access them. Please help!

ok starting to lean towards a bad drive but lets try some basic tests and fixes first before calling it. Open a command prompt in administrative mode and type without quotes "CHKDSK /F E:" Just replace the letter E: with the proper drive letter. You may need to restart the system if any files on that drive are in use.

If this does not help then please download HDDscan3.3 and run the error checking utility it has. This program will take some time to finish its scan.

If this shows nothing wrong then we can safely assume that the Drive is good (since you already used Sea tools) and it comes down to a file issue on the drive. Most likely a formatting issue. But before any major changes should be made we should get an opinion from USAFRet (one of the moderators) since he is much more in the know with storage issues.

EDIT: you may also want try the command of "chkdsk E: /r" the difference is the first one will check for bad files where as this one will check for bad clusters as well and repair both.

NateBeast

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
Ok, so CHKDSK /F E: said it made corrections to the file system and no further action is required.

I'm currently running the second command.
One thing I'm noticing is it said this:

A disk read error occurredc0000483
The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters
detected in file 43 of name \Windows10Upgrade\14393.0.160715-1616.rs1_release_CLIENTCombinedSL_RET_x64fre_en-us.esd.
A disk read error occurredc0000185
detected in file 48 of name \found.000\dir0000.chk\RGB9RAST_x64.msi.

There were a lot more repeated ones like
A disk read error occurredc000000e
detected in file 51 of name \found.000\dir0000.chk\SplashScreen.bmp.
detected in file 52 of name \found.000\dir0000.chk\watermark.bmp.
detected in file 53 of name \found.000\dir0000.chk\DisplayIcon.ico.
detected in file 55 of name \found.000\dir0000.chk\Graphics\Print.ico.
detected in file 56 of name \found.000\dir0000.chk\Graphics\Rotate1.ico.
detected in file 57 of name \found.000\dir0000.chk\Graphics\Rotate2.ico.

This went up to file 151. I am pretty sure I heard a sound from my HDD when I got that first error, but I can't really describe it.

It's just completed and the HDD is not showing up anymore in File explorer. In disk management, it's showing that it needs to be initialized but that it's 3.86 GB. It's showed that before.

I've restarted and it works fine again.

NateBeast

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
Hi. No the drive is not anywhere near full, over 2.5 TB left on it. Also, something else weird has happened. Last night my PC was doing a update, and in the morning it is in the UEFI. I restart my PC and it says restoring previous version. I get back just now, and it's in the UEFI again. I restart my PC but it gets stuck at the Windows boot logo. I unplug my HDD and try again and I get asked do I want to boot to Windows 10 or Windows Rollback. I choose Windows 10. I get into Windows but then on the desktop my PC freezes. I restart my PC and this time I go straight to the desktop. I plug my HDD in and Windows freezes again. The first time it froze the HDD was unplugged. My PC is booting again right now, and its staying on the windows logo FOREVER! I'm going to try right now different Sata ports.

Not sure if we have covered this yet or not since this thread is getting quite long but, Have you installed the sata drivers from the motherboard manufactures web site?

EDIT: a;so run the command on drive C: to ensure all is good there. It sounds like you had a bad update and need it fixed and then will be left with the same original issue.

NateBeast

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
No, I have not. I did not even know I needed them. All I can find on ASRocls website is SATA-RAID drivers, but I don't want RAID. I just tried booting in IDEode, and I got inaccessible boot device BSOD. Chkdsk on both drives show no errors. When I boot now with just the SSD, I get a weird orange and black striped screen, and then pressing enter leads to windows booting but then getting inaceessable boot device.

are you using Nvidia or AMD for a GPU manufacture? Even if you use Nvidia there are parts of the drivers from AMD you still need to run the south bridge properly. I may be mistaken But the AMD All in one driver from ASRock should hold those drivers you would need.

NateBeast

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015

I have a Nvidia GPU, the GT 740, but I have already downloaded the AMD All In One driver.

This PC was working properly before, but then my HDD failed, and for some time I was using it without HDD< then I RMAed it and got this HDD, and now I'm having these issues.

NateBeast

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015

So instead of running memtest86+ I tried with 2 different sticks of RAM, two 4GB ones this time instead of my normal two 8GB sticks, and I got scanning and repairing drive C. Then Windows started booting and I got that weird orange and black striped screen again, and then I pressed enter and Windows is now stuck on the boot logo and spinning circle.

Edit: It's now scanning and repairing C again.