HDD Reallocated Sector Count

Sep 23, 2018
So I'm not very smart at computer hardware and my Dell Inspiron 15's HDD has been used for around a year. And it's crashing a lot and freezing as well. The BSOD usually has something about kernel or an unexpected store exception. Last night it rebooted and has the Dell's Hardware diagnostic thing and warned of a failed hardware component but I didn't have time to read. Hope Y'all can help!
X235O72.png

Reallocated Sector Count [] Current: 13 [] Worst: 13 [] Threshold: 36 []
Says my HDD health is bad and has the Reallocated Sector Count highlighted with a red dot.

Solution
Was this a new system? It seems like the hard drive might potentially be covered under its warranty, if it still happens to be under warranty. You might try looking into that by entering you're laptop's service tag (likely on the underside) here...

https://www.dell.com/support

(You might potentially need to visit another support site if you are in another country and it doesn't automatically redirect you.)

You should of course back up any important files that you don't want to lose to another computer, external drive or so on as soon as possible though.
Sep 23, 2018

Thanks, I'll look into it not sure on how to replace or what drive to buy but I'll try to find out.

bennie101

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007

Your Drive is dying there is no time which it will die maybe in a hour maybe a month but. If you like to keep your data its best you get another drive because this one wont recover from failure. Or chance losing all your data from the pc.

Sep 23, 2018

I'm not able to afford a drive and do not which one to get so...

USAFRet

Titan

Is this a desktop or laptop?

If desktop, any 3.5" 1TB drive will work.
If a laptop, any 2.5" 1TB drive will work.

Your current drive does not care that you can't afford a new one. It will die when it feels like.
Like maybe tomorrow.

Was this a new system? It seems like the hard drive might potentially be covered under its warranty, if it still happens to be under warranty. You might try looking into that by entering you're laptop's service tag (likely on the underside) here...

https://www.dell.com/support

(You might potentially need to visit another support site if you are in another country and it doesn't automatically redirect you.)

You should of course back up any important files that you don't want to lose to another computer, external drive or so on as soon as possible though.

Solution

Technically, if they had the system running non-stop, that could happen in less than a year. Probably not a likely usage scenario for a laptop, but possible. Of course, they probably wouldn't have 636 power on counts, in that case. Maybe they reboot twice a day though. : P