HDD Replacement help

AveCR7

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Hi Guys my HDD of my laptop isn't working anymore. I am planning on replacing it. Do any of you know what The white strip cable thingy is? I was if this is a standard on hdd's so i don't need to buy it apart from The HDD. Link to picture : http://i64.tinypic.com/5mfkte.jpg

Solution
You don't need any cable here - simply use the one already provided with your laptop (white one, which goes into the metal part containing SATA and SATA power connector). Do not disconnect that white cable at all - just pull out the metal bracket with the connectors. Be very careful not do damage the white cable or bend it too much. Replace HDD, then plug the bracked back on your new drive, without ever disconnecting the white cable. An SSD will work, but make sure you have installation CD or USB stick containing your operating system - you will have to reinstall everything from scratch. And likely also reactivate Windows later.

CaptainYan

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
I think it is the standard 2.5 inch SATA interface. There is word "MB" in white cable. That means motherboard. It uses to connect motherboard and SATA interface.

Correct. The white cable is connected to a set of SATA and SATA power connectors which are being held in place by a metal bracket. The entire metal part has to be pulled out from the HDD after unscrewing.

Did you consider getting an SSD instead of HDD? Since you are already replacing it, why not also increase performance while you are at it ;)

You don't need any cable here - simply use the one already provided with your laptop (white one, which goes into the metal part containing SATA and SATA power connector). Do not disconnect that white cable at all - just pull out the metal bracket with the connectors. Be very careful not do damage the white cable or bend it too much. Replace HDD, then plug the bracked back on your new drive, without ever disconnecting the white cable. An SSD will work, but make sure you have installation CD or USB stick containing your operating system - you will have to reinstall everything from scratch. And likely also reactivate Windows later.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS