Question HDD reverts after shutdown

Mar 28, 2019
Had two hard drives die on me in the past two months one hybrid and one nvme SSD, both different manufacturers the only similarity is that they are part of the windows OS. The HDD reverts after reboot (think faronic's Deepfreeze) delete files, format, install software, even secure erase everything is undone after the next reboot, there are also other various issues such as data corruption(files are there but the system can't find them)when trying to change permissions. Anyone else having this issue or am I jumping to conclusions thinking windows is responsible? really hoping there is a fix for this.

Are you telling us that upon deleting content from, or even wiping, that disk it reappears when restarted as if nothing had happened?

Are you 100% sure you don't have some other drive acting as a cache? If these are 'part of the windows OS' (and what exactly do you mean by that), how are you wiping them? From outside of windows?

Can you show us an image of disk management screen?

The HDD reverts after reboot (think faronic's Deepfreeze) delete files, format, install software, even secure erase everything is undone after the next reboot, there are also other various issues such as data corruption(files are there but the system can't find them)when trying to change permissions.
Do you have multiple OS installed on your PC? or ...
Are you moving your HDD/SSD between different pc-s?

Because, if you do any of that and fast boot option is enabled in BIOS, then you'd get those problems.

Mar 28, 2019
@13thmonkey
that's exactly the case, and no the SSD was not acting as a cache it was the primary OS drive no other partitions other than what windows created on installation
the HDD on the other system was only a game drive (dedicated to game storage)
@SkyNetRising
on the SSD I was trying to install Ubuntu (not as a multiboot) and the other was a game drive
also did not have fastboot enabled in the uefi.

I'm wondering if something else is acting as a cache and 'recovering' the disks back to the state they were in which is odd, but the cache should be able to read from and write to the host disk. But this would require rather a lot of storage for anything other than most recently used to be repopulated. Makes no sense to me, but this is the second person with similar symptoms, the first had a working system even when disks were removed, which obviously is not possible.

It is very very odd, and i was in the realms of pure speculation and very very low probability events. A more likely scenario is that there is an M.2 SSD hidden under the chipset heatsink that you didn't know was there, but that's still very unlikely. Could be an artefact of how large scale deletions happen, could the disk report it as being complete, but in reality it's happening at a hardware level and then you pull the plug?

I'm out of rational ideas.

Some mobo manufacturers have one of the M.2 slots hidden away under the heatsink for the chipset so you can't actually see them, in the distant past some manufacturers have bundled storage with Mobo's.

But there's so many co-incidences needed for it to work out that it's very unlikely.

An image of your disk management screen would be handy, and the disk section of device manager.

Mar 28, 2019
yes, the neo Forza is my new OS drive, Scorch is the old problem drive WD is my game drive not to be confused with the game drive from the Original post that one is in an entirely different system and can't run tests on it as it's not my computer.