HDD S.M.A.R.T. Errors

arubamon

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2014
I have been monitoring the S.M.A.R.T. information for my four internal HHDs. I had been streaming videos from my DLNA server software to a TV in the house, and the TV kept telling me the server had disconnected. It said this multiple times while watching one video. This happened on any video I tried, even ones that previously worked. After re-enabling Acronis Drive Monitor, which had gotten disabled somehow, I realized that that drive was failing. I copied over what I could, then unplugged the drive. I'm seeing now that Acronis is giving me a large number of Soft Read Error Rate warning notifications for the past week and a half as well as a Read Error Rate critical notification which brought the health to 0%, however, now it's back up to 80% health. The Soft Read Error Rate values and raw values have dropped below 100 then gone above 100 and back, so my question is, what exactly do these values mean, why would they go up, then down, then up, then back down, and looking at the attached data, does it appear this HDD will likely fail? Also, my boot partition is on this HDD. In addition, I installed Acriolic Active SMART as well as CrystalDiskInfo. CrystalDiskInfo shows no errors on any of my three remaining drives, however, Active SMART shows a great deal of Raw Read Error Rate notifications for another drive, in addition to a few Soft Read Error Rates for the drive with the boot partition. If someone could analyze the attached files and help me understand better what these errors mean and what I should do, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yow1m4yatgle9tu/AAA97ifooM4RkXsSXwoW9OCqa?dl=0

arubamon

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2014

The make software? Could you be more specific, and are you able to tell me what exactly is meant by the logs I posted? Thanks

arubamon

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2014

Thanks. I've run every test except the Long Generic test which is now running, and they've passed for all three drives. Why then do I continue to get warning messages for two of the drives, and that one critical error message for the drive containing my boot partition? Also, why do the three programs I'm using to monitor my S.M.A.R.T. data not report the same information, and one not report any errors at all? Thanks again

arubamon

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2014

I haven't gotten to the chkdsk /b of my drives; I'll get to that as soon as my last drive finishes the Long Generic Test. The drive with my boot partition on it failed the test at 74% complete, however, SeaTools for Windows doesn't give you any add'l information about what made it fail. It recommends running SeaTools for DOS to attempt to fix any errors, which I highly doubt it'll do, but I'll also try that once my last HDD finishes its Long Generic Test. An analysis of both sets of attached files would be helpful in better understanding what these errors mean and if I really need to prepare to replace at least the one that has my boot partition on it, as I just had another drive fail less that a week ago. Thanks in advance.

Reports of SeaTools for Windows tests are posted below:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ehkg1arl2ic8bbk/AAA9tRQiIvpAJCZ-V56BhdMEa?dl=0