HDD Scan is taking a long time

venkig

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Hello,

I had a failed HDD due to PCB board being burnt. I have the PCB replaced now and the drive is not getting detected in the OS but it is detected in the BIOS and also it is detected in recovery software via bootable diskette.

When I try to scan the hard drive for bad sectors it is taking a long time. How do I fix this? I need to fix this so that I can recover the data.

The scan was working perfectly fine yesterday and the recovery software gave options to recover the file but I didn't have another physical media with me yesterday. Now i have another physical media but the scanning is very very slow.

The drive capacity is: 250GB.

If you need any kind of diagnostics kindly let me know, I will paste the log here. Kindly let me know which HDD utility should I use to fix this issue or atleast show you guyz the log so that you can tell me what is wrong with my HDD.

I checked couple of software and all of them said that there is no physical damage on the hard drive.

To sum it up.

1. Is there any way to make my drive detect in OS intact with files so that I can copy them to a different location? Note: it doesn't detect in device manager, computer management or any place.

2. Is there anyway to make my HDD scan fast so that it gives me the option to recover the files.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
When the original pcb burned out it might have corrupted some of the drive data...
The new pcb, is it from the exact same hdd size and type?
The long scan time might be attributed to a newer firmware version on the new pcb or corruption due to the original failure..you might have to wait it out and then grab the data at the end...

venkig

Distinguished
May 2, 2010

When the original PCB burnt I had it repaired once and it worked perfectly fine but I connected it again to the computer it burnt(due to fault SATA pin connector which i discovered later).

I am sure there is no physical damage to the hard drive. My local technician says that the media is corrupted and you need to rebuild it.

venkig

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
If i do that then I will further damage any recovery. Plus I don't have the option to just do a quick format or something like that. I have the option to erase the data completely - wipe the dat or write it with zeros which doesn't serve my purpose of recovering the data.

I don't care if i cannot use the hard-drive anymore but I just want to have the data recovered

TRENDING THREADS