[SOLVED] Hdd seems slow and its not because its winter

1TED

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
so a clean insall of windows 10 64 bit on a NEW ST2000DM008 seagate 2tb 7200 rpm drive in gpt uefi (cms enabled and everything on uefi only).
So now it seems that disk activity jumping to 100% alot more then the previous 5400RPM drive and while its doing this giving me "not responding" soft freezing even for dumb things like opening a window.
So is there Anything i can check? (windows is even on default settings, so unless gpt is buggy???)
View: https://i.imgur.com/h9gNqAi.png

crystal disk info smart status

Last edited:
Solution
Go to Function - Advanced Feature - Raw Value - Select "DEC" (decimal) instead of the default reading "HEX". If the raw value does not equal 0 then you have a physical issue with your platters. It's just a suspicion since it LOOKS like you have some read errors going on there.

Also install crystaldiskmark to check if our drive is even reading/writing at the intended speeds.

You may also want to reseat the physical SATA cables or even plug in the SATA cable into a different SATA port just to make sure it's not a mobo problem.
Go to Function - Advanced Feature - Raw Value - Select "DEC" (decimal) instead of the default reading "HEX". If the raw value does not equal 0 then you have a physical issue with your platters. It's just a suspicion since it LOOKS like you have some read errors going on there.

Also install crystaldiskmark to check if our drive is even reading/writing at the intended speeds.

You may also want to reseat the physical SATA cables or even plug in the SATA cable into a different SATA port just to make sure it's not a mobo problem.

Solution

1TED

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
View: https://i.imgur.com/I9F0tPP.png

sorry i dont know what exactly i am looking for, all i can think of is just changing the sata port and cable and try again. so as you can see this is about 30 hours ontime copying files. and seagate support seems to be closed at this time

View: https://i.imgur.com/I9F0tPP.png

sorry i dont know what exactly i am looking for, all i can think of is just changing the sata port and cable and try again.

See the "RAW value" column? Since the Read error rate is high for a new drive it indicates you may have a physical issue with the drive itself (meaning the disc platter or read/write head is damaged) and therefore needs to be replaced. Try changing the SATA port & cable and try it again - but if the problem persists you may just need to replace the hard drive completely.

1TED

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
See the "RAW value" column? Since the Read error rate is high for a new drive it indicates you may have a physical issue with the drive itself (meaning the disc platter or read/write head is damaged) and therefore needs to be replaced. Try changing the SATA port & cable and try it again - but if the problem persists you may just need to replace the hard drive completely.
so i changed the sata port and cable and power cable (well the whole modular cable) even went ahead and changed plug in a different wall socket. Then ran a disk check and sfc and dism incase.

the problem with warranty wont they just tell me the disk still says its healthy? is there any other test or comparison or something that i can do? or maybe playing a game would increase count?

But is this an unusually high count for 30 hours of basically copying files? Thanks for your help though

Last edited:
so i changed the sata port and cable and power cable (well the whole modular cable) even went ahead and changed plug in a different wall socket. Then ran a disk check and sfc and dism incase.

the problem with warranty wont they just tell me the disk still says its healthy? is there any other test or comparison or something that i can do? or maybe playing a game would increase count?

But is this an unusually high count for 30 hours of basically copying files? Thanks for your help though

Crystaldiskinfo is not official Seagate software, they can't really use that as a reason NOT to accept a warranty replacement. I'd recommend contacting their technical support first and if they also can't help you then they will most likely triage or direct you to submit a warranty claim.

As far as what we here at tom's hardware can do, we can only help you troubleshoot with tools we're familiar with. For example use crystaldisk mark to test your HDD's sequential / random read/write performance.

But ultimately, you will still need to contact seagate to see what they can do for you since it is a new drive that's having problems.

Last edited:

1TED

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
Crystaldiskinfo is not official Seagate software, they can't really use that as a reason NOT to accept a warranty replacement. I'd recommend contacting their technical support first and if they also can't help you then they will most likely triage or direct you to submit a warranty claim.

As far as what we here at tom's hardware can do, we can only help you troubleshoot with tools we're familiar with. For example use crystaldisk mark to test your HDD's sequential / random read/write performance.

But ultimately, you will still need to contact seagate to see what they can do for you since it is a new drive that's having problems.
well the reason i posted that is becase seatools doesnt say anything either then pass.yeah ill contact them soon, just that at the moment they are closed. so i figured i might aswell post here because microsoft support is an **** and wont tell me where the damn log is for the chkdsk that i scheduled for reboot.

well the reason i posted that is becase seatools doesnt say anything either then pass.yeah ill contact them soon, just that at the moment they are closed. so i figured i might aswell post here because microsoft support is an **** and wont tell me where the damn log is for the chkdsk that i scheduled for reboot.

Check your event logs. Windows search "event viewer" and open "windows log folder" and then "System". That should be where you can find the logs, especially any disk errors.

1TED

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
Check your event logs. Windows search "event viewer" and open "windows log folder" and then "System". That should be where you can find the logs, especially any disk errors.
so vaguely looking at logs (well the 4 sub folders that i know), i saw alot of I/o errors and storport errors (with no other storage devices other then the main hdd) so i am resetting eventviewer again to see if something else comes up.aswell as enabling a few logs

The drive health is fine. You're using it for purposes, it is not designed for.

Do not install windows on Seagate Barracuda. That is SMR drive. Usable for write once/read only type workloads like archives, backups, user media libraries. Not usable for installing windows on it.
Windows reads/writes to OS drive all the time. On SMR drive any write also overwrites neighboring tracks. Drive has to correct overwritten data in background and that causes additional disk utilization.

For OS drive get yourself an SSD.

Reactions: Newtonius

1TED

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
The drive health is fine. You're using it for purposes, it is not designed for.

Do not install windows on Seagate Barracuda. That is SMR drive. Usable for write once/read only type workloads like archives, backups, user media libraries. Not usable for installing windows on it.
Windows reads/writes to OS drive all the time. On SMR drive any write also overwrites neighboring tracks. Drive has to correct overwritten data in background and that causes additional disk utilization.

For OS drive get yourself an SSD.
purposes it was not designed for??? Not usable for installing windows??? 2021 is not the year that you "need" a SSD for windows. secondly i believe SMR would mostly only effect NAS boxes in majority of cases since they are more heavily involved in read write.
it is very popular to use a seagate barracuda for windows install, infact most people dropped velociraptors for them. sure the next competitor is a WD black, but they are similar anyway. so while you said this "Drive has to correct overwritten data in background and that causes additional disk utilization." tell me why my dm003 happens to be outperforming it? as a 5400rpm drive with lower disk utilization, against a 7400rpm with a faster read/write? BUT however I am not at all talking about my game or application finishing loading 20seconds to 1 min faster (sure nvme would be even faster).

1TED

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
You want a Crucial MX500 of at least 500 GB for all of $65-$69 or so...

Windows 10 just too painful on spinning drives, especially after a fresh install when Win10 must now also pull in countless WIn10 updates, etc...
why is so painful ?? before i was running older crucial ssds and samsung evos. sure using nvme would be a huge step up. Id love to work at your company giving ssds in offices. while you at it you can give people 3d nand smartphones so they can stay up to sync with mails. countless? just redownload the iso...

Last edited:

1TED

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
well anycase i sent it in for warranty, doesnt come back working ill just buy another one. and most likely all the problems will be solved. Everyone input was particularily helpful

Last edited: