Question HDD share TIM router

roberto21

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
I am trying to share an HDD which is connected to usb port of the router provided by TIM (Technicolor AGMY2020). The disk is ok, I tried it connected directly to the PC and it worls fine. When connected to the router, however, I am having problems. The disk is visible on Windows explorer, and is regularly mapped as disk Y: with name \\192.168.1.1\ASMT_2115_1_cd8d. I can see the contents but:
  • I can create new folders, but I cannot rename any folder
  • I cannot delete any folder
  • I can copy files from other locations
  • I cannot rename files
  • I can delete files
All operations I cannot do will fail with error "0x80070032: the request is not supported"
- Some files cannot be opened: e.g, docx files cannot be opened by word (error: "sorry, we couldn't open file" ....); pdf files seem to be working, jpg also

When copying files from other location, sometimes I get the warning: Are you sure you want to copy this file without all its properties? I don't even know what this means.

The problem happens with windows 10 and windows 11, both are (as far as I know) at the latest update level. Is there some fundamental setting I am overlooking? I triedmsome solutions for the error found in intenet, even though I could not find anything similar to my case, but to no avail. Any idea would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
Just for the record: make and model HDD, capacity, how full?

This router?

https://community.tim.it/t5/MODEM-ROUTER/Modem-technicolor-AGMY2020/m-p/221489/highlight/true

[Note: Italian website link. Not an answer per se but may help you locate the applicable User Guide/Manual.]

Overall, the problem is likely within the admin rights/properties that are assigned to Disk Y:

FYI:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-b58704b2-f53a-4b82-7bc1-80f9994725bf

= = = =

Just a note:

I have a Linksys router and at one time tried connecting a USB HDD to the router. Slowed network performance and read/writes to the drive also very slow.

Consider setting up a NAS if at all possible versus configuring the router to serve as a "storage device" if the requirement is long term online storage.

roberto21

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
Thanks. The disk is ATLANTIS P012-SU342-B2, 1tB capacity, less than 1Gb used (practically empty).
I gave up on the issue, I am connecting the disc to a pc that happens to be always on for other reasons. Too much mystery here. I connected another pc (windows10 pro) to the network, and the damn disk worked like a charm (on the other pcs still doesn't work, though). In addition, I read the ms reference you gave, but I realized that among the properties of the disk there is no "share"or security tab, so I cannot assgn any access right to the disc. I give up. Thanks anyway