HDD showing as "ejectable device"???

Status
Not open for further replies.

xMyazXtr3me

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
For some reason my HDD is showing up as a ejectable device, it says "WDC WD10 SCSI Disk Device" with some other numbers in between. I am not sure why it would be doing this. But also, i did disassemble my PC the other day to put a CPU cooler in and to fix my cable management, I dont think i would have screwed anything up, but i am not sure. My friend who is a computer genious looked it over and said it looked good. So i am totally confused on this. Also when i go into the bios it shows SATA 1-6 as undetected. I am recalling that when i built the PC about 8months ago, i didnt use SATA 6/Gb because i didnt know as much as i do know, but when i rebuilt it i put my HDD in that 6/Gb slot so maybe thats doing something to do whatever its doing. If anyone has any advice it will be greatly appreciated.

xMyazXtr3me

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011

Yes i reset my mobo to default settings, i also have a EVGA GTX 480SC, Intel Core i7 920, 6gb Corsair Dominator DDR3, Corsair 850w psu, 1TB WD Black HDD.
As far as AHCI i do believe it is, is there a way i can check to know for sure?

xMyazXtr3me

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Ok well i fixed it. I just opened up my pc, and switched my HDD from sata 6/Gb to 3/Gb which sucks, but idk what else to do. My sata ports are detecting my hardware, and my HDD is not ejectable, im going to go further into my investigation though.

SATA drives often show up as ejectable because the SATA protocol permits hot disconnection and reconnection of drives, and because Windows doesn't know what SATA ports are connected to internal drives and what ones are used for external (eSATA) drives.

You can download a document from this Microsoft web page that describes the Registry settings needed to tell Windows that a SATA drive is not removable.

AusTrent

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012

Ok the reg edit contained within the linked document works for windows 7, but alas doesn't for windows 8 which is where I'm having the problem. For me it's linked to the marvell 6.0gb sata ports on the ASUS P8Z77 -V Deluxe motherboard running windows 8 64bit.

Both my HDD and SSD are showing as ejectable. Not really a prob for the SSD as that contains the operating system and is busy so can't be ejected, but the HDD is just storage and can be. The added issue is that this computer is for my less than tech savvy parents, so I need to ensure this can't happen.

Both MS and Marvell have been unable to supply a fix to this issue as yet.

If anyone has worked out how to remove internal scsi drives from the windows 8 safe ejection tool, your advice would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.