[SOLVED] HDD showing up in BIOS but not in File Explorer/Disk Management?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2020
So this issue happened out of nowhere. My HDD just stopped working while in the middle of using my computer. I lost all my game recordings I made for many videos as well as multiple games downloaded off of Steam. I did a ton of research finding a solution and checked disk management only to find my SSD there but not my HDD (both are internal) and so I tried booting up my BIOS and saw that my BIOS had listed there being an existing HDD as well as SSD. I also tried with another Hard drive from my brothers laptop but it only showed up in the BIOS and not disk management. I went to a computer fixing store and the guy there told me the HDD was faulty and it needed a replacement upon investigation. I'm a little confused seeing as both my brother and my HDD was detected in the BIOS but did not show up in file explorer.

Could it be a Windows software issue or could it be a faulty SATA cable connecting to my motherboard that needs a replacement? Please inform me of any suggestions seeing as I want to ensure that I am not wasting money on buying a new storage device.

p.s. I am on a laptop, not a desktop PC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.