Question HDD shows in file explorer with different drive letter but not in disk management

_MiQ_

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Hi,

I updated windows last night and now that I started my pc today I noticed how a lot of my desktop icons were gone and programs weren't opening. I suspected that one of my drives could have died or got disconnected somehow and checked the file explorer and noticed that two of my drives had different drive letters (SSD and HDD) and then I decided to change them back in disk management and I got the SSD to change letter but the HDD didn't allow me to change it. I also noticed that the HDD partition didn't even have a letter in disk management but in file explorer it had. When trying to change the HDD's drive letter I get error: The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. The partition doesn't show in diskpart command.

I have tried safe mode, the drive shows up in bios, I can access the drive and its contents, have tried a full reboot. What can I do to make the drive have a letter again?

Thanks.

_MiQ_

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Right-click on 931.51GB partition in Disk 2 and choose "Change drive letter and paths" and assign a drive letter.
You can assign only unused drive letter. So letters C, D, H are not available.
When I posted this thread I couldn't assign letter to that drive because I got error of disk management not being up to date. Also the drive letter of the SSD would change every power off boot.

But now I removed the latest Windows quality update and so far the pc is working properly. So it seems like it was the Windows update that was causing the problem.

Anyways thank you for your help!