HDD Slow, Firmware update?

Andrew_203

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
Hey, I've been having problems with my storage drive, clicking randomly and the read/write performance is declining... I have defragged it and while that has helped slightly I did notice the firmware was quite old, does anyone know where I would get the latest firmware for a Hitachi GST Ultrastar A7K1000 HUA721010KLA330 ? I have searched but can't seem to find a download location....thanks in advance.

Solution
That's enterprise class drive. Main strengths there are performance consistency.
But the drive itself is painfully slow by modern standards. It has never been fast.

Andrew_203

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
I'm not getting any SMART errors, I was just in the middle of backing up 2 mins ago, when my PC froze, I hope there is no data loss :( ... I'm having real trouble finding the firmware... Is the Ultrastar the exact same as the Deskstar? Would the Deskstar firmware work... anyone?

Andrew_203

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016

It has solved problems for me on old Maxtor drives before, however not that it matters because I can't even find where to get the Deskstar fw ... never mind the enterprise model :/

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
thre is no firmware for HDDs that i know of. the default windows drivers are fine as is. the only way your drive will go slower is either your drive is dying or the Chipset/SATA controllers were not properly installed. is your SATA mode on AHCI or IDE in your BIOS settings? you can try to check your motherboards support site and try reinstalling them. restart. and proceed with the disk health check/maintenance below.

you will definitely need to run a chkdsk or a much more safe method (in theory) to prevent data that are in the bad sectors from being corrupted, you can choose 3rd party free partitions softwares (e.g. EaseUs, Minitool). just open it and right click on teh drive and do a Surface Test. this will take hours depending how fast your CPU/Drive and how large it is.

Andrew_203

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016

I have ran chkdsk with no errors and crystal disk info SMART gives no errors... I have definitely upgraded firmware for HDDs in the past and I have read in lots of different places about people with the exact same drive that has newer firmware installed... There's got to be a way?... I don't want to accept that the drive is dying because as HDDs go it's relatively new and hasn't seen a massive workload in it's time powered on, it should still have years left in it.

Edit:
Bios setting are AHCI as SATA type.. like they have always been.

Andrew_203

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016

Ah, okay, thanks.... I do see a problem though, none of the serial numbers match mine... I wasn't really taking that into account before, I was looking at the Family and the Model number... They might work, but is it worth the risk bricking my main storage?... probably not (at least until I can afford a replacement)
... Just tried downloading them and it won't let me unless I sign-up with a company domain and answer stupid questions that I don't know the answers to... Guess I'll just have to hope someone has a copy of the firmware but I won't hold my breath.
Thanks for your help

Andrew_203

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016

https://imgur.com/a/mGxrn
mGxrn