Question HDD slow transfer speeds, will it fail? Can it be fixed?

Dec 16, 2020
My model is ST1000DM003-1SB102
A few weeks ago I brought my PC to a technician because I was getting BSODs (warranty still got 3 months left so if all fails I will bring it back, although I'd prefer to fix it from home because I have to do schoolwork and the PC is important). I assumed the HDD was at fault because I was getting crazy slow transfer speeds in the range of kilobytes to about 5 MB (sometimes dropped to 0 B/s). I was also having trouble playing videos and sounds and other media on the drive.
To my surprise the technician contacted me after a while & told me he hasn't found any problems, saying that probably some driver was at fault. So he just reinstalled it and the BSODs seemed to disappear, the HDD seemed to be fast again, too.

But now some weeks later the HDD is terribly slow again! No BSOD so far though. The weird thing is sometimes I get very fast transfer speeds, but mostly it's very slow, like transferring in 500 KB/s or some 5 MB/s at max. These things should not happen am I correct? I can't play videos either, they lag and then crash.
So I ran a chkdsk /r /f, Windows told me there was a bunch of the following
A disk read error occurredc0000185
The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters
detected in file ... of name ...
(even though I have plenty of free space, about 500 GB)

But at the end it said
Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.
0 KB in bad sectors.

Naturally I thought it got repaired after all and the transfer speed seemed to be very fast again. However the very next day it went back to being sluggish.
Right now I'm running SeaTools, Short and Long generic tests failed (once or twice passed, though, I don't get it...) and I'm on Fix All Long, but I doubt it will resolve anything hence I'm posting here

(apologies for the lengthy post I thought I'd be better if I explain it all in detail)

kanewolf

Titan
My model is ST1000DM003-1SB102
A few weeks ago I brought my PC to a technician because I was getting BSODs (warranty still got 3 months left so if all fails I will bring it back, although I'd prefer to fix it from home because I have to do schoolwork and the PC is important). I assumed the HDD was at fault because I was getting crazy slow transfer speeds in the range of kilobytes to about 5 MB (sometimes dropped to 0 B/s). I was also having trouble playing videos and sounds and other media on the drive.
To my surprise the technician contacted me after a while & told me he hasn't found any problems, saying that probably some driver was at fault. So he just reinstalled it and the BSODs seemed to disappear, the HDD seemed to be fast again, too.

But now some weeks later the HDD is terribly slow again! No BSOD so far though. The weird thing is sometimes I get very fast transfer speeds, but mostly it's very slow, like transferring in 500 KB/s or some 5 MB/s at max. These things should not happen am I correct? I can't play videos either, they lag and then crash.
So I ran a chkdsk /r /f, Windows told me there was a bunch of the following

(even though I have plenty of free space, about 500 GB)

But at the end it said

Naturally I thought it got repaired after all and the transfer speed seemed to be very fast again. However the very next day it went back to being sluggish.
Right now I'm running SeaTools, Short and Long generic tests failed (once or twice passed, though, I don't get it...) and I'm on Fix All Long, but I doubt it will resolve anything hence I'm posting here

(apologies for the lengthy post I thought I'd be better if I explain it all in detail)
Use something like CrystalDiskInfo to read the SMART data. What does the SMART data say ?

But considering a replacement is $40, I would plan on replacing it. If you want a performance boost replace with an SSD.

Dec 16, 2020
W9CkVeZ.png

Btw the Fix All Long fixed it but only for a while. The next morning (now) it's back to being slow again.

Dec 16, 2020
I discovered something: Copying and pasting does take a lot of time but cutting and pasting (or dragging the file or a folder into another folder) is VERY fast, but only within the drive. Now I'm even more confused about all of this

USAFRet

Titan
I discovered something: Copying and pasting does take a lot of time but cutting and pasting (or dragging the file or a folder into another folder) is VERY fast, but only within the drive. Now I'm even more confused about all of this
Copy/Paste reads and writes a whole new file, or bunch of files.
Cut/Paste, within the same drive, only rewrites the File Allocation Table. Basically, the index of where things are. Very very fast.

Dec 16, 2020
Usually Windows 10 is not longer suited for mechanical HDD, Widnows 10 needs a SSD. Yes that is a bad story but is happening, due to the number of Input/Output operations of Windows 10 a HDD cannot cut it you really need a SSD.
I understand. But I'd prefer to keep this one a bit longer. Now it's getting fast again. I have no clue why this is happening.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History.

There may be some error codes, warnings, or even informational events that you can correlate with the times of slow performance.

Likewise use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance. (Use both but just one at a time.)

Watch for system changes that occur(ed) when the performance slowed.

And do remember to get your data all backed up and verified as recoverable and readable.

Be ready (as you always should be) for a complete system loss.

Dec 16, 2020
Reliability History shows an incorrect unexpected shutdown on 3.12. and Windows Explorer freezinh and closing on 17.12. Aside from that everything seems normal.

HDD usage is at 100% even when the transfer speed is slow as heck.

I didn't find anything suspicious in Resource Monitor which would drain all the speed from the drive. Just System files.