Question HDD slow write problem.

LAJM99

Reputable
May 1, 2017
Hi, first time here. I searched the net for fixes and still can't solve my problem. Apparently, may Seagate 2TB HDD has a write problem. When I copy from seagate hdd, the read speed is good like 30-60mbps but when I copy into the seagate hdd the write speed is like 0-700kbps only. I tried switching sata cables and ports, tried using usb bootable os puppy linux the problem is still there, I tried hd tunes smart test and everything is okay. The HDD health is at 100%, 33 days run time and chkdsk doesn't saw any errors.

My OS is installed in 240gb M.2 SSD. I don't have extra HDD right now to test the mobo. Please, I really need help. I just bought this HDD last april. Any insights is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019
is this one of the Seagates with 256mb cache?

Yes! I am having the same problem and it is the 256mb cache version (model: ST2000DM008). I've noticed that when writing image files, it will very quickly write a batch of them equal to the cache size, then seems to not respond for a very long time (20 seconds?) then writes another 256mb chunk of images to the drive. This is a major problem when doing data analysis on 20GB data sets! Reading from the disk is no problem, I can load 20 GB's in to RAM to view the images in about 90 seconds.

Is there any way to start trouble-shooting the root cause?