HDD sounds like its being stopped constantly?

Seek54

Reputable
Jul 31, 2016
Hello, I wanted to ask you if my HDD is dying, it has been making kinda quiet sounds for a while, but I moved back to a flat and maybe I just hear it more, but I have some backups on this HDD.
I do not have another HDD or any other storage device except my 16gb kingston USB (the files aren't going to fit there anyway).
Should I be looking into a new HDD? How long is the hard drive going to last in your opinion?
I did the "wmic diskdrive get status" to cmd and it wrote OK but idk if that means anything.
Thanks.

Solution
if you have windows 10 turn on windows one drive use there online cloud storage for your files. if oyu run out there the google online cloud storage. dont back up programs. if you need stream games go get a few large usb stick and copy your stream game folder to the sticks.
Get a SMART checking utility such as Hard Disk Sentinel installed and have it check it out.

If you have ANY reason to suspect the drive is failing, replace the drive or get some kind of backup device in place as soon as possible. Cheap insurance for what could be a total loss of everything.

Seek54

Reputable
Jul 31, 2016
It says "The hard disk status is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up or data transfer errors.
No actions needed."
CrystalDiskInfo shows that the HDD has been running for 11065 hours. How much is expected of a hard drive?

Seek54

Reputable
Jul 31, 2016
Should I be worried about the sound though? I have like ~100GB (or more) of files I'd need to backup, because its pictures/videos/other files. What is the lifetime of HDD's in hours? My previous HDD (from an old pc) I installed windows and it made like grinding noise, I hit it lightly and it didn't boot up after that. It spinned but nothing else happened. I backed up the files to the current HDD, but now I don't have anywhere to back up, and if the HDD fails, my files are gone.

If it sounds different than it used to...yes, I would worry about it.

if you have windows 10 turn on windows one drive use there online cloud storage for your files. if oyu run out there the google online cloud storage. dont back up programs. if you need stream games go get a few large usb stick and copy your stream game folder to the sticks.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
There's no determined lifespan for HDDs. I've seen them go in a couple days and I have a few still working after 15 years (though admittedly I don't run those very often). If your files are important to you, they should be backed up regularly right now; waiting to back them up until a hard drive starts having problems is like buying a fire extinguisher while your house is on fire.

TRENDING THREADS