HDD Space Question

Karmazyn83

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Guys,

I have a small dilema. I have Toshoba P300 3 TB mechanical hard drive. I got 3TB because I think that it was the fastest version of this model.

The actual HDD space to use is around 2.7 TB. I have read somewhere that the more space you fill the slower the HDD becomes. This is due to the data being saved on the lower plater. the needle needs to travel more between the plater etc.

I decided not to leave less than around 800 GB space unfilled in order to preserve HDD's good speeds.

Unfortunetly there are more and more games installed on my HDD every day. I like to have quick access to my favorites and also HD Textures packs, updates fill more and more space. Uplay, GOG, STEAM, Battle.net game collection takes space and because of growing backlog I do not want to uninstall some of the games.

I have around 619 GB space left and my question to you is how much more space I could use? Should I find things to delete and bring HDD back to 1 TB space free of could I install few more games. I got Injustice 2 really cheap and install file is around 55GB, than I will buy new Tomb Raider so install will probably take another 60 GB. Is it ok to fill more space. Is 0.3 GB which is reserved by the HDD the only space which can never be filled.

Please help. Thank you.

Solution
The speeds are not going to change a huge amount as you think it will.
Sure it will slow down, but no more than it is. Once it writes on the hdd, it will then stay there, even if you delete something else, if it wrote on the slower parts of the disk, deleting other things won't help.
The only way you can make it "faster" is to optimise/defrag the drive, but as to how much that will help, is debatable.
The speeds are not going to change a huge amount as you think it will.
Sure it will slow down, but no more than it is. Once it writes on the hdd, it will then stay there, even if you delete something else, if it wrote on the slower parts of the disk, deleting other things won't help.
The only way you can make it "faster" is to optimise/defrag the drive, but as to how much that will help, is debatable.

Solution
You can use all of it.

Deleting data and writing more data will cause increased fragmentation. That's what causes performance drop in mechanical drives.

Yes. It's fine.