Question HDD speed limited after windows update

Jul 16, 2019
Hi everyone,

I'm gonna try and detail as well as possible what seems to be the behavior of my HDD, then the timeline for this observation and in the end some facts about it

When booting up into Windows the loading is slow, opening the task manager reveals disk usage 100%, but more interesting is that the total MB/s for the running processes never seems to exceed 3.0 MB/s before displaying 100%.

I recently reinstalled the PC with Windows 10, mainly because it acted the same as now, 100% disc usage, and a full clean installation of Windows 10 saw total MB/s well exceeding the 3.0 mark, without ever reaching 100% disc usage. Then I started to update Windows 10 with updates etc. and suddenly it started again, seeming to be limited at the 3.0 MB/s mark.

I've tried all the "Get rid of 100% disc usage" guides or tips, disabled windows services, anti virus etc. but it has not helped me.

The facts about the HDD, from CrystalDiskInfo:
Healthstatus: Good
Power on hours: 2240

Full CrystalDiskInfo:
View: https://imgur.com/CTQv5YP

A run through with CrystalDiskMark shows the following:
View: https://imgur.com/ioqfF0u

What in the Windows Update could trigger what seems to be a limit in write/read speed on the HDD?
Or am I missing something quite obvious here.

Jul 16, 2019
try deleting some newly installed windows updates and then check, sometimes updates cause a lot of problem too
I wouldn't know where to begin with this. It was after the first major update of a newly installed Windows, so there was quite a lot of updates in it.

Have you checked the driver version in device manager for the hd?
It seems to have the newest driver available wen I look. Though it's from 2006. I forgot to mention in the post that I did a full update of all essential drivers, chipset, gfx etc.

Use Resource monitor, disk tab, disk activity section to monitor disk usage.
Post screenshot (order disk activity by column total).

It should look similar to this (just make file column larger) :
disk-activity15.jpg

Reactions: Mstorgaard

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
What are you full system specs?

Have you tried with a different SATA data cable and also a different SATA port?

Also have you checked in Device Manager if there's exclamation mark on any devices indicating a driver problem specially the IDE/ATA Controllers or Storage Controllers.

I'd also suggest you get HD Sentinel from here and check the SMART health status of the drive.