HDD speed/size trade-off?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Does anyone know what might be the best trade-off between speed and
size in a hard disk drive? I do not require very much disk space. The
quieter the better.

Thank you.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

John Doe, <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid>, whose name means "pisses in swimming
pools; big boobed shemale", hummed:

> Dazed blonde dolly-mop with wasted minge and mammoth fun-bags aches for
> unyielding wise and beautiful woman-stirrer for forceful pork-sword sinking. Mail me at
> jdoe@usenet.love.invalid

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

My thoughts are that most 7200 rpm drives are going to be relatively close
in seek time when it comes to IDE and SATA drives. I checked a couple out
between 40 gb and 300 gb on the Newegg site. The times vary from 8 ms to 9
ms. However, if one goes to a WD raptor @ 10,000 rpm the seek time drops to
4.5 ms. So if you're space is not too needy and your wallet large then opt
for one of them for a fast arrival.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net

Jan Alter <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote:

> My thoughts are that most 7200 rpm drives are going to be relatively
> close in seek time when it comes to IDE and SATA drives.

It's nicer than it was.

> I checked a couple out between 40 gb and 300 gb on the Newegg site.

You could end up getting every book in the world.

> The times rpm the seek time drops to 4.

The devil from hell.

> So if you're space is not too needy and your wallet large then opt for
> one of them for a fast arrival.

It's hard to believe, isn't it?

John Doe wrote:

> Does anyone know what might be the best trade-off between speed and
> size in a hard disk drive? I do not require very much disk space. The
> quieter the better.

What's your priority here? Disk performance is controlled by three major
factors, storage density, RPM, and seek time. Newer drives tend to have
higher capacity resulting from higher storage density, hence, for the same
seek time and RPM newer will in general be faster. With a given storage
density, a higher RPM drive will move more bits past the head in a given
time and will have lower latency, which is the time it takes for the bit
you want to rotate from wherever it was when the head got into position to
the location of the head. Faster seek time is always beneficial, but it
isn't really tied to RPM or storage density, although again in general
higher RPM drives will be designed for higher performance and will thus
have shorter seek times.

Now, for quiet, right now Samsung seems to be doing a pretty good job.
Hitachi ATA drives are in my experience quiet for the most part but
periodically do a recalibration that bears a remarkable resemblance to a
cat cry. If you can find one in good condition Seagate Barracuda ATA IV
drives 40 gig or smaller are exceptionally quiet--first time I powered one
up I thought it was dead. The later drives are not as quiet.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote:

> My thoughts are that most 7200 rpm drives are going to be
> relatively close in seek time when it comes to IDE and SATA
> drives. I checked a couple out between 40 gb and 300 gb on the
> Newegg site. The times vary from 8 ms to 9 ms. However, if one
> goes to a WD raptor @ 10,000 rpm the seek time drops to 4.5 ms.
> So if you're space is not too needy and your wallet large then
> opt for one of them for a fast arrival.

This one is only about USD115.

Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB Serial ATA 10,000RPM

Any problem using that with this Socket A mainboard and the stock
SATA cable which was included?

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta2-LSR&class=mb

On that mainboard with Windows XP SP2, any problem using that as
the boot drive? I would guess not.

Thanks again.