[SOLVED] HDD spikes to 100% and CPU usage decreases for a second while gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Streamer123

Honorable
May 28, 2015
Hello everyone.

I just bought a new laptop (Acer Nitro 7; i5-9300h, 8GB RAM, GTX 1650, 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD), and it runs fine except for one thing: my games occasionally freeze for about a second. It doesn't matter which game - this happened while playing more demanding titles like Monster Hunter World to less demanding titles such as Terraria or Team Fortress 2. These games are all installed on my HDD, while Windows is installed on my SSD.

So, I went on Task Manager and continued playing, and noticed that my HDD spiked to 100% for that split second when the game froze. Here's an image of that (the post didn't allow me to add an image directly, sorry):
View: https://imgur.com/a/9t285v1

At that same time when the HDD spiked to 100%, I think that my CPU usage went down a lot... at least that's what the screenshot suggests.

Is this possible because of undervolting? I'm using a ThrottleStop preset for an i5-8300h from here: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/577183/throttlestop-undervolt-profiles-pre-made/p1?new=1

I ran CrystalDisk and it told me that both my HDD (32 degrees celsius) and my SSD (38 degrees celsius) have a health status of 'Good'.

Is there anything I can do? I don't really want to return this laptop as everything else works fine... the game freezes and continues immediately, and with the whole COVID situation, it would be a pain to get a replacement.

Any help is appreciated, thank you :)

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention that I ran Terraria without ThrottleStop active (because it's not demanding), and this issue still arose - doesn't seem like undervolting has anything to do with this.

Last edited:
Solution
If it's not the drive itself then it could be the cable/ and or storage controller. Not sure what to suggest. Replace data cable or update storage controller driver.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Looked at the screenshots. Nothing really pops out at me with the graphs and processes besides maybe pagefile.sys.

Maybe you do need more ram.

You could muck around with the pagefile and see what happens. Maybe try increase size.

Control Panel\System and Security\System > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab. Click settings under Performance then advanced again.

Virtual Memory

Uncheck Automatically manage to customize your own amount.

Initial size (Minimum amount), put 1024
Maximum, try something big like 20480. Next time try smaller, 1.5x ram amount, maybe even less. System might be unstable if go too low but wont harm the system and can always undo changes by checking Automatically manage box.

It'll ask to restart the system after change.

Streamer123

Honorable
May 28, 2015
@FoxVoxDK Unfortunately, I don't have another SSD nor an HDD.

@boju I set the pagefile max limit to just 12288 MB (google says that's what I should ideally set it to if I have 8 GB of RAM) and so far, I haven't had any issues. It's been 10 minutes though, so I'll keep you updated after I find the time to play for a solid hour or two.

Thanks!

Streamer123

Honorable
May 28, 2015
@boju @FoxVoxDK I played TF2 for over an hour, and it happened 4 times. It didn't happen at all while I played Monster Hunter World for an hour.

I think I'll just deal with it for TF2. It's an old game and it happens rarely anyway, and this didn't happen in newer games. Oh well. At least it's pretty much non-existent now though.

Thanks for the support guys :)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No problem, all the best. Put some more ram in it when you get a chance. Some games may not seem like using much but Windows can already tax 3GB for itself leaving it to manage pagefile. Entirety of ram doesn't need to be used before this happen. More ram allows more game data flowing in ram.

Streamer123

Honorable
May 28, 2015
@boju @FoxVoxDK @TerryLaze

Well, it hasn't really been fixed. I ran an ETW and have this data on the Windows Performance Analyzer... I'm not really able to understand this information and figure out what's the root of this issue, but I'm hoping any of you guys could?

The freezes happen towards the end of the time the ETW was ran for.

Sorry for the request but I don't know what else to do:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jb2vuadlD50mqnWPva-Rh6YL2GKJbXBI/view?usp=sharing

Thanks again everyone.

Streamer123

Honorable
May 28, 2015
Sorry for the delay I'll check when i get a chance. Watching a movie on tv lol checking toms during ad breaks 🙂

No worries! Just an update: I didn't notice the issue when playing COD: Warzone for a couple hours, so I figured that it's possibly a Steam issue. Looking it up, I saw that Steam used to have issues with it being installed on a different drive than the games way before. It's just a stretch, but I'm trying the games now that I have installed Steam itself on the HDD along with the games. Will you keep you posted :)

Reactions: boju