[SOLVED] Hdd spins up and clicks to a halt.

Jan 18, 2020
Ive been using my HDD for about 5-6 years now, and just 3 days ago it started clicking off and spinning back up, but im still able to use the pc, i can open task manager and i see the HDD usage response time and r/w speeds go from normal to o and back to normal every 1-10 seconds, but everything works just fine. I can play all of my games access all of my files and use it as if nothi g is wrong except load speeds are increased due to not constantly running, i know if i turn off the computer or restart it it most likely wont boot back up, should i plug in another drive and try to back everything up or is there a way i may be able to fix it?

Solution
There is usually no way to fix a failing hard drive. If you have ANY question on the reliability of a drive you should do an immediate backup. BUT you should be doing backups daily anyway.

Wu-Zi-Mu

Honorable
Feb 20, 2016
Buy another drive and backup all data ASAP. If it doesn't have the system partition you can even clone it without rebooting, if you're on Linux ddrescue is perfect for that.

That drive might or might not work on next boot but it'll be dead soon.