Question HDD Spinup Causing complete system freeze momentarily & SSD PCI-E lane useage

Latios

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016
Ok, so i made the mistake of upgrading my machine to the X299 platform and i've had non stop issues ever since-

Todays problem is my HDD drive, its not my C drive, its there as high capacity storage for non-game related junk etc, the fault i face is when the disk powers down from inactivity, when it powers back up again the entire PC halts until the disk has spun up properly, this is something i had never come across in a computer

i have done the first rule and tried researching the fault but as always its people with dodgy installs and strange OEM power settings or something completely unrelated so i never get a result, in my instance this is a fresh install thanks to Aura sync never wanting to open with only the drivers installed, nothing else installed and nothing else changed apart from a couple things:
->Windows Defender disabled
->Paging file removed

i should explain this is a new HDD that worked absolutely perfect in my previous Z170 build with no issues

another thing i wish to ask is... my C drive is a Samsung 970 Pro which isn't slow but... i was wondering if its beneficial to have it inserted into the motherboards built-in M.2 socket or use a DIMM.2 card that fits into a DDR4-like dedicated socket as my CPU is garbage- it only has 16 PCI lanes and 8 are being used by the GPU card and another 4 are being used by a PCI x4 SSD afaik

HDD- Seagate Barracuda SATA
SSD- Samsung 970 Pro
SSD- ROG RAIDR PCI 2.0 X4
CPU- i5 7640x

Latios

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016
i tried that but.. i put this certain HDD in another system and it powers down and up as it normally does but doesnt halt the entire system in doing so

TRENDING THREADS