[SOLVED] HDD >> SSD Cloned Succesfully, but 8 GB less data on clone - how to check/compare?

shawnc

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
HDD successfully cloned to new SSD, working perfectly.
However SSD has 8 GB less data than the original cloned drive.
When cloning using Macrium, I originally checked the box for it to confirm clone success, it said it was successful.

How should I compare/contrast and determine which files did not copy?
I would do a copy/paste of the entire drive, and see what happens, but I'm cautious to not
screw up something that is working, even though it seems low risk.
Thanks.
fpPhzUE.png

Solution
  1. This is NOT a successful clone until you boot from ONLY the new drive.
  2. Which one is the new drive, the smaller? That size difference is easily seen in pagefile or hibernation, which changes during actual use.
  3. The new drive being the F means you have NOT finished the actual process, see #1.

Power OFF
Physically disconnect the old drive.
Power up
Does it boot properly?

USAFRet

Titan
  1. This is NOT a successful clone until you boot from ONLY the new drive.
  2. Which one is the new drive, the smaller? That size difference is easily seen in pagefile or hibernation, which changes during actual use.
  3. The new drive being the F means you have NOT finished the actual process, see #1.

Power OFF
Physically disconnect the old drive.
Power up
Does it boot properly?

Reactions: shawnc
Solution
Some cloning programs don't do a true clone (bit by bit) - but rather make an advanced image file that only contains files that exist on the drive. That is my best guess, and then the cloning software can skip recycle bin, page file, etc that is not essential for the system. You must read the documentation for the software you use to verify if that might be so.

USAFRet

Titan
Some cloning programs don't do a true clone (bit by bit) - but rather make an advanced image file that only contains files that exist on the drive. That is my best guess, and then the cloning software can skip recycle bin, page file, etc that is not essential for the system. You must read the documentation for the software you use to verify if that might be so.
Exactly the condition with Macrium.
"Intelligent copy" - It leaves off pagefile and hiberfile.

https://forum.macrium.com/5040/Back-Up-Windows-Intelligent-Sector-Copy-or-Exact

shawnc

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
Exactly the condition with Macrium.
"Intelligent copy" - It leaves off pagefile and hiberfile.

https://forum.macrium.com/5040/Back-Up-Windows-Intelligent-Sector-Copy-or-Exact
Thanks Grobe, Thanks USAFRet, I believe it was your recommendation that I found Macrium. and your meme that got me to taking backups more seriously.
I haven't tried unplugging the HDD because it's booting extremely fast so I'm sure it's booting from the SSD. Unless I'm missing that point somehow.
There are definitely no symptoms of any problem with the SSD.
Makes sense the optional files not being copied, but 8 GB seems like a lot.
Still wondering if there is some way to compare the 2 drives to see what files are missing from the new SSD.
Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
but 8 GB seems like a lot.
That is EASILY the hibernation file or pagefile.

Still wondering if there is some way to compare the 2 drives to see what files are missing from the new SSD.
Not really. If the clone or Image function completes with no errors, it is a good complete.
In a brand new Windows install, there are 150,000 individual files. A LOT of them you and I do not have access to.

This have a big "IF" - IF Macrum software store a container format that is possible to mount within Linux (well what's the chance). No forget that.

Said you made up your mind doing clonedisk the hardcore method (loading Linux from command line and do a DD command for creating a bitwise clone) - you could mount both the original file system (read only) and the disk image file system - and use a proper command (rsync with --dry-run parameter) to verify that the changes are none.
🆒🐧

USAFRet

Titan
The normal "clone" is Macrium is not a 100% sector by sector copy.
As said, it leaves off things that are not needed.

It does have a Forensic Copy method, which IS the total thing, sector by sector.
But that is really only needed in a forensic analysis situation.

The normal clone works. It just leaves off things that are not needed.
As such, you can't really "compare". In addition, even if you were to compare, some things are slightly different on the drive running the OS vs the target drive.
The Registry is being written to constantly, and will be slightly different. Temp files will be slightly different, as soon as you continue using the old C drive.

Macrium verifies the integrity of the clone, according to what it did.