HDD/SSD constant short activity for no reason?!

kensuri

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Ok so my problem lies as follows. I have a program called HD Tune Pro that can measure the disk activity (overall) per device. I have a SSD as extra device (I do *not* boot from it, nor do I have any system files on it!) formatted as NTFS, on a Windows XP machine. I know Win XP isn't very friendly with SSDs but that's not my issue right now.

My issue is that once in a while, not always but sometimes, I get 12KB written for absolutely nothing. It happens every 2 seconds or so, according to the disk monitor in HD Tune Pro and just one I/O operation. This happens on my SSD where I only launch some few programs manually, but it happens even when I have absolutely nothing running.

Even more, I use a sandbox to run all programs from my SSD, the sandbox folder being on a entirely different drive, so to make sure that the SSD is read-only (every file modification or addition will be made to the Sandbox instead which is on a different drive, the SSD gets untouched). And I *still* get the random constant writes, it is as if Windows XP logs something about the file system.

How do I disable it? And what could it be? Could it be related to the hidden folder System Volume Information on NTFS partitions? I DISABLED the NTFS Last Access Time in the registry and using fsutil, I tried to disabled journaling but it said it is not activated, so I assume it's disabled. I disabled File Indexing by right clicking on the SSD drive in My Computer and disabling it.

Is there anything else I'm missing? I really want this drive to be read-only completely with zero writes unless I write something to it, seeing as SSDs have limited write cycles. This constant 12KB "one I/O" per 2 sec is so annoying because it probably writes to the same block everytime which is even worse.

By the way, this is not specific to SSDs only, but it doesn't bother me on HDD. The same thing happens on both of my 2 hard drives too, not just the one with the system. I'd really love this removed, do you happen to know anything why XP does it? This "logging" or whatever it seems to be, it constantly writes to somewhere for no reason, NO FILE I can access gets modified.

If it's a known phenomenon for XP only but not later versions let me know as well, but I highly doubt it. Upgrading the Operating System is not an option at this time for this computer.

Thanks for your time.

Oh and to add, I have no anti virus or anything in the background running.

kensuri

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
I don't have any 3rd party defragmenters or anything like that, my install right now is as clean as it gets when diagnosing this.

However, I have pinpointed most of the causes, but unfortunately in the I/O in the task manager NONE of the processes there show any writes! Not even system. But there is write activity on the device.

It seems to do this "write" or "logging" everytime I launch an application from the SSD. If I launch the same application from a different drive/device, it will write on that drive instead, even if all the application's files are on the SSD. It seems as if Windows XP logs something about an application when you load it from the device it is installed on.

Furthermore, it seems just browsing with Windows Explorer for the first time the device does that writes or "logging". But this happens for the first time after a restart. Could it be it is caching the icons or something similar? Like I said, I already disabled the Last Access Time so it can't be updating that. I don't know why, but I'd really like to know how to disable this.

Thanks again for your answer.

kensuri

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Yes I have disabled System Restore on the initial install (sorry I forgot to mention!), and I have no antivirus even installed on that system. I'm positive it can't be a third party at this point, because the I/O log in task manager shows absolutely nothing, it must be something related to the NTFS filesystem for sure.

But it happens when I browse a folder with an application (.exe) file, and when I launch any application from it. In fact, it even happens if I just right-click the .exe file and then browse the tabs there (like Version, Compatibility, Summary, etc), but it can't be the Last Access Time as I have disabled it. It is puzzling me at this point. I will try some new things and report back if I find anything but, if you know something familiar with what I described that would be very appreciated.

Thanks again.