Question HDD + SSD optimization and storage questions.

RenTheReaper

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
I've dug around in the past and recently again in regards to optimizing a SDD + HDD combo setup in a pc. Although maybe I can learn a bit more directly asking in my case. I have a 256gb m.2 nvme SSD in my prebuilt computer. A few weeks ago, I installed a 2tb Seagate Barracuda HDD.

How can I best use/optimize both drives and how can I best prolong my SSD?

Aside from leaving my OS on the SSD, should I leave my programs and apps like CrystalDiskInfo, Spotify, Discord, and any other future permanent applications/programs on the SSD (or the HDD instead)?

As for games, I suppose that I should try placing them in the HDD especially if they're just light games that won't be affected much by the difference between using an HDD or an SSD. But should I move any existing games on the SSD to the HDD? The current games on the SSD are ROBLOX (which if I recall, frequently makes albeit temporary logs), and WarThunder.

By extension, should I move ROBLOX Studio (The application used to make games within roblox) to the HDD?

I'm also interested in learning and trying out video editing. Would that and related programs be better on the SSD?

I by far guess its best to move multimedia and documents to the HDD.

Can I and should I make complete system backups to the HDD (or would it not work..?) Or should I just rely on a USB stick(s)..

I'm not an impatient person. And I'm very interested in prolonging the life of my SSD. But I am open and would love advice and suggestions/learn on how to best utilize my hybrid setup and computer in general.

SSD for OS and its applications (including games).

HDD for files storage (specially videos + images).

A small partition (same size as SSD) of the HDD can be used for the entire OS backup (you can boot from the HDD in case of SSD failure).

RenTheReaper

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
SSD for OS and its applications (including games).

HDD for files storage (specially videos + images).

A small partition (same size as SSD) of the HDD can be used for the entire OS backup (you can boot from the HDD in case of SSD failure).
Would I have to go to system image and select the internal hard drive? Or how would I go about making that partition backup if I may ask?

USAFRet

Titan
Would I have to go to system image and select the internal hard drive? Or how would I go about making that partition backup if I may ask?
For a "backup" of the 256GB SSD, you don't really need any special partition.

You can use Macrium Reflect to create an Image on the HDD or wherever.
That is just a single file, no partition needed.

Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.

Reactions: CountMike
What is your plan for external backup?

I might use the newly purchased HDD for external backup and use a 2tb ssd as a replacement for all your other data.
A 2tb 2.5" samsung QVO might cost about $150 and be considerably faster for everything.

twowheelstom

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2014
I have my Windows 11 on a M.2 SSD via NVMe as drive C, and put music and movie files on a 2TB HDD via SATA, and just installed a 2nd M.2 ssd on the 2nd m2 slot on the motherboard and put some game files on it

RenTheReaper

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
What is your plan for external backup?

I might use the newly purchased HDD for external backup and use a 2tb ssd as a replacement for all your other data.
A 2tb 2.5" samsung QVO might cost about $150 and be considerably faster for everything.
I plan to buy a portable hard drive, either 500gb or 1tb. I don't really have much disk space taken up nor a lot of money on hand right now. Hahaha.

RenTheReaper

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
I recall it being supposedly better to delete all existing partitions when cleanly installing Windows. Should I go ahead and reinstall windows again from a USB to delete the old partitions?