Question HDD/SSD reinstalling windows question

Jun 19, 2019
Hey,

I've currently got a 1TB HDD as my boot drive and storage drive. I'm upgrading to an SSD and reinstalling windows on that (also upgrading from windows 8 to 10).

If I do a clean install on the new SSD, will I still be able to access the few files/games I want afterwards, then transfer them to my now boot drive SSD before repartitioning the HDD as just storage, purging its years of junk files? What steps will I have to take?

I don't have an external HD to move them onto unfortunately.

Jun 19, 2019
" will I still be able to access the few files/games I want afterwards "
yes

"then transfer them to my now boot drive SSD "
Sometimes this can be tricky will programs....as sometimes there are links to files in certain locations and moving them can screw things up.

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry I don't normally mess around with storage drives, when I boot up with the SSD will the HDD show up with all of my files without me having to do anything? Or is their some disk management to be done first?

USAFRet

Titan
This depends on exactly what is on the HDD.

Your personal files, mostly no problem.
Programs/applications? Problem.
Games such as from Steam can generally be moved around.

Also:

If I do a clean install on the new SSD, will I still be able to access the few files/games I want afterwards, then transfer them to my now boot drive SSD before repartitioning the HDD as just storage, purging its years of junk files? What steps will I have to take?
If you upgraded to 1TB SSD, then you could clone existing drive to SSD.
Then you could do inplace upgrade from Windows 8 to windows 10. That's the only way you can keep all your apps/games without reinstalling them.

If you do clean install, then some software might work, but most likely will require reinstallation too.

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry I don't normally mess around with storage drives, when I boot up with the SSD will the HDD show up with all of my files without me having to do anything? Or is their some disk management to be done first?
Your HDD should show up with all the files.
Although when you do the clean install of Windows....I would only have the SSD connected. Then....after you are happy that Windows is running fine....power down and add the HDD.

Reactions: lAnimal
Jun 19, 2019
Your HDD should show up with all the files.
Although when you do the clean install of Windows....I would only have the SSD connected. Then....after you are happy that Windows is running fine....power down and add the HDD.

That's what I was thinking in my head, I just didn't know if it was wishful thinking. Thanks a bunch, appreciate it!