HDD/SSD set up for OS on new build.

sk-jb93

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Hi there,

I have a bit of an issue... Later this year I'll be doing my second custom build. The new build will consist entirely of new parts except for the HDD and the CPU Cooler.

In my current PC I have two 1tb HDDs and no SSD, but for my new build I'll be buying a SSD and using the HDDs from my old build. The issue I have is that I have Windows 7 OS on one of my HDDs but for my next build I'll get a new Windows 7 OS for the SSD.

I would like to know some suggestions to what would be the easiest way to take all my files off my two HDDs and to wipe them and so I can put the data back on them when the PC is built.
The way I thought of doing it is, move all the data onto a 2tb external HDD and wipe those 2 x 1tb so there's no OS on it, install the new OS on the SSD and then when the new build is set up move all my data back onto the 2 x1tb HDDs.

Any feedback or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

thats a really round about way to do it i guess. I would simply install your new Windows 7 onto the SSD before connecting the other drives. once windows is installed, then you can connect the other 2 x 1TB drives and simply delete or move whatever data you want off them.

sk-jb93

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010

i wasnt sure if that would work because that means id have 2 drives with OS on it, the SSD would have my OS but one of the 1tb HDD's also have an OS on it.

sk-jb93

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010

an issue im afraid i could run into is with my steam games. will they all be fine and all ill have to do is re-install them or is there something else i need to do

sk-jb93

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010

okay, awesome!
thanks alot, im not worrying so much anymore. much appreciated!!