ajohnson94

Reputable
Nov 18, 2017
Hi,

Since first building my PC, I've had two storage devices, a WD 1tb HDD and a Samsung SSD.

Over the years I've installed/uninstalled games on both the HDD and SSD, sometimes the same game on both at one stage or another, for instance at one stage The Witcher 3 was on the SSD, I then unsitalled it for space for other game but later chose to re-instal onto the HDD. Obviously it didn't matter what storage device The Witcher 3 was on with respect to my saved data, I could just play on either the HDD or SSD and picked up where I left off.

I want to start tidying up my files on the SSD/HDD by deleting things I don't need and I've noticed from looking at the HDD and SSD that they both have folders for the same game, which doesn't make sense, as if I've installed it to one drive how does it know that I've previously saved the game? I hope this makes sense.

If anyone can tackle my confusion that would be great lol.

Thanks

Solution
If your game launcher supports cloud saves, enable them then you can just redownload the game with your saves. I would reformat the harddrives, clean them completely, fresh install windows to the SSD and re-download whatever it is you wanna keep.
Assuming you have the internet speed to do this comfortably.
If your game launcher supports cloud saves, enable them then you can just redownload the game with your saves. I would reformat the harddrives, clean them completely, fresh install windows to the SSD and re-download whatever it is you wanna keep.
Assuming you have the internet speed to do this comfortably.

Solution
I want to start tidying up my files on the SSD/HDD by deleting things I don't need and I've noticed from looking at the HDD and SSD that they both have folders for the same game, which doesn't make sense, as if I've installed it to one drive how does it know that I've previously saved the game? I hope this makes sense.
Most games save somewhere in your user folder. Typically it's either in Documents, Saved Games, AppData\Local, or AppData\Roaming (the last two are hidden folders). In rare cases, though more common in older games (i.e., mid 2000s and before), saves are done where the game itself is installed.

As mentioned, some game clients like Steam support cloud saves, but this isn't available for every game and some games require you to specifically make a cloud save.

ajohnson94

Reputable
Nov 18, 2017
thanks again. My goal is to make my PC feel more organised but perhaps to a certain extent the way that games install are just chaotic i.e. certain files end up in different place than others