Question HDD storage options

Macif

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014
I'm in the process of buying an external HDD for storage and I've cut it down to either a WD my passport V3 or a Lacie rugged USB-C 2TB. They are priced almost the same, with the Lacie costing only a bit more. But I'm skeptical about Lacie due to the fact that I've read that they use different HDD's from companies such as seagate and I'm a bit skeptical about seagate. Compared to WD anyway. Due to failure rates.

Of course any HDD will die at some point most likely, and I'm also going to back these particular files up on Blue-ray discs, and I may get an M-disc at some point too. (Very sentimental about these files)

Should I just go for whatever is cheapest of the two above, or is the Lacie the better over all choice due to its additional protection? Though to be fair I dont really plan to go out in the field with the HDD, but I do hope that the WD would survive moving to another place and so on.

As a side note I'm skeptical on SSD's due to their price in relation to their storage size and I've heard that you need to plug the SSD in from time to time, as they require power to not lose data? (At least if I understood it right) While an HDD is more ideal for long term storage in a drawer in comparison?

kanewolf

Titan
I'm in the process of buying an external HDD for storage and I've cut it down to either a WD my passport V3 or a Lacie rugged USB-C 2TB. They are priced almost the same, with the Lacie costing only a bit more. But I'm skeptical about Lacie due to the fact that I've read that they use different HDD's from companies such as seagate and I'm a bit skeptical about seagate. Compared to WD anyway. Due to failure rates.

Of course any HDD will die at some point most likely, and I'm also going to back these particular files up on Blue-ray discs, and I may get an M-disc at some point too. (Very sentimental about these files)

Should I just go for whatever is cheapest of the two above, or is the Lacie the better over all choice due to its additional protection? Though to be fair I dont really plan to go out in the field with the HDD, but I do hope that the WD would survive moving to another place and so on.

As a side note I'm skeptical on SSD's due to their price in relation to their storage size and I've heard that you need to plug the SSD in from time to time, as they require power to not lose data? (At least if I understood it right) While an HDD is more ideal for long term storage in a drawer in comparison?
The gold standard for data security is three independent copies with one copy off-site. The off-site copy protects against theft, fire, flood, etc.

Christophe516

Prominent
May 2, 2022

I have a 1TB Internal HD w/ a 2TB USB WD Passport. I have an identical 1TB Internal HD. That I still need to install.