HDD stuttering ft. consoles

mrredrock25

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I've a simple question but never get to know a proper answer. First of all excuse me for my poor english.

Let's say an open-world game like GTA V or Fallout...etc stutters cause of harddrive and running smooth as butter on an SSD (i am referring to pc version) but at the same time its never stuttering on consoles (ps4/xbox) even if the HDD on the pc is at great shape and lowering setting/resolution won't help fix stuttering. I know console games render at lower reso~ and setting than pc but even if u get ur game to lowest setting that actually it look worse than console one its still stuttering if it's running from a HDD. So my question is why does this happen only on PC?!!

P.S; For who gonna say it's happening because OS installed on the same drive..it happens even if the OS/drivers/main apps installed on separte SSD most pc games still suffer from stuttering cause of HDD even if 100% health.

Thanks.

Solution
1. games for console is OPTIMIZED FOR HARDWARE. they exactly know how many MB/s and IOPS it will allow, and check/optimize. ON PC its much harder as each and every dude have different hardware.
2. Programs in background: cosole have close to none. on PC you have AV, windows crap, probably browser, updates ETC.... they all want something from that HDD causing game access to slow down randomly.
3. GPU GDDR texture buffer: if texture fits it sits, like a cat. ON pc you have all from 0.5 ram on GPU up to 11 GB, very hard for games to say when redownload something from HDD. ON console that buffer is known ans static sized. How much space they have and redownload ahead with few seconds time to complete.
1. games for console is OPTIMIZED FOR HARDWARE. they exactly know how many MB/s and IOPS it will allow, and check/optimize. ON PC its much harder as each and every dude have different hardware.
2. Programs in background: cosole have close to none. on PC you have AV, windows crap, probably browser, updates ETC.... they all want something from that HDD causing game access to slow down randomly.
3. GPU GDDR texture buffer: if texture fits it sits, like a cat. ON pc you have all from 0.5 ram on GPU up to 11 GB, very hard for games to say when redownload something from HDD. ON console that buffer is known ans static sized. How much space they have and redownload ahead with few seconds time to complete.

Solution
if you want to end stuttering get some fast storage (ramdisc or SSD or NVME) and use:
https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2018/01/24/how-to-speed-up-windows-10-using-readyboost.aspx
on ramdisc option (one I use) needs ~350 MB of space for HDD (very little gain above that).
https://www.pcworld.com/article/260918/how_to_supercharge_your_pc_with_a_ram_disk.html
it will keep small shitty files from taking precious IOPS while gaming and allowing HDD to keep up with demand. Tested on fallout 4 that was missing textures without it and worked well with it.

mrredrock25

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
@Rdslw
I really appreciate your answers it's really helpfull. About ur first point..why they don't do the same for pc and optimize their game to work smooth with mininal requirement like 7200 HDD at least (speaking only for HDD not other hardware) ofc everybody has at least 7200 HDD nowadays with little has 5400 green one or something. cause it's so desperate if your game stutters while ur HDD is fast enough and 100% health (191 read/187 write) and it has no OS installed or background process running. I optimize my windows well and disabled a lot of services and disable windows defender aswell. My guess they r not caring much about Pc's version of the game because consoles are the main profit. :(

Again thank you for taking time to answer me. :)

mrredrock25

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

Can i do this with old 8GB flash memory USB 2.0?

it will not help much, but yes you can. 3.0 USB will do a lot more though. try to create 5x usb max speed as size, to make sure its not too bit and you wait for USB instead of hdd

mine is 90/80 as I use laptop 5400 2.5 drive. And that's a problem here.
try:
https://www.glarysoft.com/
and defrag HDD. + defrag regestry.
might be just enough to help.

TRENDING THREADS