HDD suddenly say's it needs formatting

joaksle

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Hi! I have a pc with 2 hdd's and 1 ssd. The ssd runs Windows 7 and the two hdd's are for storage. One of them for photographs.
Suddenly the HDD doesn't show anything in my computer. When I double-click it, it say's it needs to be format.
This really scares the shit out of me as I have a bunch of photographs i've taken on that hdd. I have a backup hdd, but it's a little while since I last took a backup, so I don't have the newest ones.
Been searching on the problem, but can't get the answer. One who had the exact problem was lucky, and his hdd suddenly just worked.
I've tried multiple programs, one of them Easy Partion Recovery. It cant find it.
When im in bios its a step forward as it can read the hdd in a way, since it finds the brand and model.
But in my computer it just shows me "Local Disc (E:).
Anyone wanna help out a frustrated person? Would be happily ever after if this was solved in a good way! :)

Solution
1. Try to assign a new letter for it in Disk Management: Right click "My Computer" > Mange > Disk Management > Right click your HHD > Change Drive Letter & Paths.
Sometimes, one has to activate his drive manually.

2. Try to recover your saved photos back at the aid of data recovery software.
If that way cannot make a difference, your drive may get some problems.
In order to save your photos, you could try to use some data recovery programs. There are always many data recovery programs available online, especially some free ones which sometimes could work more efficiently than some paid ones.
Just take some chances with these drive data recovery freeware.

Hope this works.

Luna3432lu

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
1. Try to assign a new letter for it in Disk Management: Right click "My Computer" > Mange > Disk Management > Right click your HHD > Change Drive Letter & Paths.
Sometimes, one has to activate his drive manually.

2. Try to recover your saved photos back at the aid of data recovery software.
If that way cannot make a difference, your drive may get some problems.
In order to save your photos, you could try to use some data recovery programs. There are always many data recovery programs available online, especially some free ones which sometimes could work more efficiently than some paid ones.
Just take some chances with these drive data recovery freeware.

Hope this works.

Solution

joaksle

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

Damn, I love you right now! The hdd was, of one reason, not assigned to any letters. Got it right back where I left it! Thank you so much!! :)

bluebogle

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

OMG, thank you for recommending TestDisk. It's the only thing keeping me from becoming violently ill this morning after realizing I lost about 30-40 hours worth of work that's on a very tight deadline. Why was this work not backed up? Because I'm an idiot.