[SOLVED] HDD suddenly stopped working correctly

Mar 18, 2020
Recently I was using my computer with GTA minimized. When ALT + TAB'ing back in, the game froze and I had to restart my PC. Upon restarting, I realized my hard drive was not working as it should be, as it was visible in my PC BIOS, Disk and Device Manager, but not in File Explorer. When I try to Initialize the Disk, it tells me it fails due to an I/O error. I am still pretty confused on what I could've done to cause such a large problem so quickly.

It is a Seagate hard drive and I have used the "SeaTools" to try and fix the hard drive, but the fix fails and doesn't give me a clear reason why. I have already unplugged/replugged my SATA and power cables, with unfortuantly nothing changing.

I'd like to keep the data on my hard drive, however it was from my old PC so it's over 5 years old now (rest of my build is practically new) so if it's just getting old I would try to format it, or just buy a new one.

Ran CrystalDiskInfo and found this- which looks like one of the ends of my SATA cables is damaged, not enough time to take apart PC now but I probably will try another cable after work, any thoughts?

Transfer Mode : ---- | SATA/600

Thanks in advance everyone!!

Solution
If it still shows in 'Create and Format Disk Partitions', you can try to delete whatever shows, and reinit, quick format, and try a recovery tool like Recuva if you need any old photos/docs off of it...(i've pulled lots of photos from reformatted drives with Recuva)

Otherwise, the poor drive could simply be 'shot'....as happens with all-too-alarming regularity with spinning drives. (Good time to price Crucial MX500 SATA SSDs for replacements instead...)
If it still shows in 'Create and Format Disk Partitions', you can try to delete whatever shows, and reinit, quick format, and try a recovery tool like Recuva if you need any old photos/docs off of it...(i've pulled lots of photos from reformatted drives with Recuva)

Otherwise, the poor drive could simply be 'shot'....as happens with all-too-alarming regularity with spinning drives. (Good time to price Crucial MX500 SATA SSDs for replacements instead...)

Solution
Mar 18, 2020

This is the second Seagate drive that has failed on me, I am definetely thinking about grabbing another SSD instead...

Sadly nothing shows under 'Create & Format' and the only thing on the drive were all my game files so I am attempting to format now but I am unable to initialize the disk so I can't format from Disk Management.

Any tips?

Mar 18, 2020
Hard disk failure can happen anytime with anybody because of bad power supply, virus attack, damaged block, bad sectors, corrupted operating system etc. However, the end result is the same i.e.; data loss. So, if you want to recover data from affected drive you can try using any data recovery software. Hope you can get back your data.
Thank you for the helpful reply! At this point I'm assuming when my GTA crashed it was my disk failing.

At this point I'd rather format the drive so it's usable again as the data was only my Steam games, any help with doing this or should I start looking for a new part?