HDD Swap Problems

gazza1964

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
I have done a HDD swap from a Dell Optiplex 780 to an Acer AX3950 for the simple reason that it runs My Summer Car faster. Only thing is, after updating most of my drivers, it runs as badly as the Dell did before the swap. Help and How To?
Edit: just played a much smaller game and it ran terribly too. It didn't used to on this computer before the HDD swap.

Solution

gazza1964

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

I have checked over the OS. I'm running Windows 7 and said it wasn't genuine when I did the HDD swap. I entered the proper OS product code from the last computer and verified the OS. I can't really see why the OS would be slowing my computer down.
Thanks!

1) You moved from a DELL to a ACER - The LICENSE does NOT carry over!!!! OEM Licensed copies of Windows are ONLY SOLD WITH that hardware from THAT maker.
2) Because your using a 'illegal' (aka not genuine) copy of Windows, Windows automatically downgrades the performance, including blocking the use of DVDs and more.
3) Your solution is to back the Acer Hard Drive into the Acer, then simply download and install the 'game' you want onto the Acer
4) Your Dell Hard Drive will need to probably be 'factory reset' putting the computer back to the FIRST DAY you took it out of the box (yes you lose all your stuff) in order to 'fix' WIndows on it since now you tried to force it to support a different computer (ACER).
5) Windows 7 is hasn't been supported for YEARS now. You need to upgrade each system (if possible) to Windows 10 to be able to support current and future game titles. I believe the grace period may now OFFICIALLY be over from the 'free' upgrade, and you may have to bite the bullet and pay for a 'store bought' copy of Windows 10 or via windows.com (Microsoft's website). But so you know many programs and products (games) dropped Windows 7 / 8 Support .

gazza1964

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

I'm pretty sure Windows 7 still gets updates and is supposedly planed to till around 2020. My Windows 7 copy on this hard drive has been verified and My Summer Car supports Windows 7. Sorry that I forgot to mention returning the OS to genuine. But still. Most of what I have works fine. By the way, I didn't really mark the drivers out the problem. I only updated the graphics driver and the network adapters. I didn't want to risk downgrading any drivers. Thank you for helping me out guys!

To clarify the misunderstanding https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet
Mainstream Support (i.e. You me, every consumer whom bought a computer ) January 13, 2015
Extended Support (which your referring to) is CORPORATE Contractual support with Microsoft (like Ford, Chase, UnitedAirlines, etc.) that brings up a 'problem' with Windows 7, they will send out a update for ALL Windows 7 machines as a 'byproduct. They are NOT looking for 'fix' things for Windows 7 or 8. So if you call Microsoft right now and demand help with your issue (which you could do) outlined here, they will refuse you and tell you to upgrade to a SUPPORTED OS.

Second to that I was meaning, and sorry it wasn't clear, that games, programs (STEAM, Chrome, etc. ) all have dropped or are dropping 'support' for Windows 7 /8 when programming the games or programs. So you may 'want' to play a game or use a program but it doesn't "work" on your edition of Windows.

As you have completely different hardware, you should remove ALL devices in Device manager NOT part of the new system. Basically you confused Windows on where it is, and what it is working on and takes a while to fix all that. There is NUMEROUS other drivers (such as the Hard Drive I/O driver to 'read' and 'write' to HDD like 'reading' the game code to load the game), You should visit the ACER support page for your particular model, downloading all the drivers, THEN also the 'Assistant' software so it applies all the proper updates.

Again though, the problem comes up that CURRENT drivers are NOT for Windows 7, but Windows 10 and "Don't Work" in Windows 7 machines if you apply them. So again, a root cause of your problems today AND tomorrow is your on a OS that is NOT supported and will have further issues looking to fix such 'drastic' changes like you did to the system.

gazza1964

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

I don't think they'd design drivers for the OS as all Acer could know, you could've installed Linux on your system. To put it bluntly, it'd be a pretty dumb idea. And if the drivers were for the OS, my network driver I installed wouldn't work so I wouldn't be talking to you now, neither would I be seeing the screen in HD as I lost my updated VGA driver when I swapped the HDDs. Sorry that I'm taking a lot of what you say with a good 'pinch of salt' but it just doesn't meat logic, what you're saying.
Thanks!

Uhm... to put it bluntly you have no idea about computers and I would recommend you take it to a PROFESSIONAL because you are lacking even BASIC knowledge.

First, all the OEMs DO know what OS is sold with the computer and THAT is what they support. TO PROVE the point here is your support page, https://www.acer.com/ac/fi/FI/content/support-product/2187?b=1 and if you select Windows 7 as the supported OS, you will see DRIVERS, for all the components inside.

Secondly, since XP Windows has come build in with BASIC coded driver standards, which are bare bones.. the MINIMAL to turn it on and not much more. When we speak of 'drivers' specific to that model computer, they 'know' the hardware specific design, and add on the extra features and 'best way' to make it work. Want that to not just BEEP a sound but make it STEREO sounding? Here is the driver. Want that to NOT just display 256 Base VGA colors but a rich 1080p Video ? Here is the driver. And so on.

This forum is for professionals like myself whom been doing this for DECADES to offer some free help. If you believe you somehow know better, then I suggest you don't bother with OUR advise, as it won't pass your 'salt test'.

Solution

A none clean install has misconfigured settings and bloat of incorrect drivers and config files. You could be see conflicts in irqs causing performance issues. You really should get a cheap SSD for a boot drive. Then use the HD as a games drive.