HDD throughput fell to ~200K/s

ogampel

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
After a year of normal usage I moved my 1TB WD disk to a new PC. It's a WDC WD10EZRX-00A
Since I moved it tot he new machine it works extremely slow. every operation (ls) is slow.
I tried to use dd but it reports a ~220K/s transfer rate.
I tried SpinRite, but it reports similar speed.
At this rate it would take me more than a month to run through the entire disk.
It's connected trough a regular SATA cable. I got similar speed when I tried it as "external" disk with an adapter.
I assume it's in the HW level as SpinRite loads it's own OS, so it has to be lower level.
Any idea what I can check or look into?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Solution
Hey there again, @ogampel!

Unfortunately, we don't provide support for Linux/Unix operating systems beyond the physical installation of your WD product. However, there are Linux-based disk utilities that can help you diagnose the health of your WD Green. Check them out and keep me posted with the SMART attribute results.

Hope it helps.
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to the TH Community, @ogampel!

I'd recommend swapping the SATA cable that is connecting your WD Green (WD10EZRX-00A) to the new PC and also check how it would perform, if it's plugged to a different SATA port on the motherboard. You mentioned moving it recently, but have you checked how it performs while connected to the older PC?
It's also highly recommended to backup any important data from the drive somewhere else first! This is the surest way to avoid any potential data loss. Afterwards, try running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows. The utility will help us determine the health and SMART status of your WD Green HDD.

Keep me posted with the results of the troubleshooting! Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

ogampel

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
Thanks for your answer!

I did try another cable with no effect.
I will try to reconnect to the previous PC, it will take few days though.
WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows is, wel, for windows, and I got only linux machines around me. A quick attempt with wine has failed, but I can't say I'm surprised.

Any idea about comparable utilities for Linux?
Any idea whether Data LifeGuard Diagnostics will work on some recovery kit that has some DOS prompt?

TRENDING THREADS